Vinyl versus model specific trim

I need some white markings to add contrast for orientation on a model with a built up wing and covered with red solarfilm. White solartrim seems hard to get and oratrim is only 95mm wide and both would be a mail order job, or 30 miles each way to a model shop.

There's a pretty good print / sign shop close by so I could see what they have that may do the job. Are there any downsides of using something I may get there, and is there anything in particular I should take in to account please? I'm thinking of making circles of around 250mm for the underside of the wings, out near the tips. It's glow powered however the wingtips don't pick up oil from the exhaust.

Advert

I have been given some offcuts of vinyl from a friend who has a printing company. I think it is slightly thicker so could be heavier if a lot was used,but this would be very marginal. The colours I was given are an almost perfect match for those on acro wots which came in very handy.

I bought some vinyl to cover a 4m glider foam veneered wings, it went quite well. I then acquired a 2nd hand Mustang which was missing a couple of the stars, I cut a couple of new ones from the remaining vinyl, only done 1/2 dozen flights but they are holding up well.

Friend has also previously cut me registration numbers for some scale gliders from vinyl and they are now several years old, stuck on painted solartex.

I've used quite a bit of vinyl, both cut by hand and applied by the soapy water method and also cut with my Silhouette Cameo cutter. I actually prefer the vinyl on a roll to Solartrim. Yes, it's a bit thicker, but it is available with a matt surface finish, which goes better for my matt finished painted models than glossy. It cuts very nicely on the Cameo and is available in many more colours than Solartrim, which is becoming increasingly difficult to find. For registration letters the matt white, grey and black have been great. I've never tried painting Solartrim, but I was able to successfully airbrush some matt white vinyl letters for my Typhoon, to give the correct Sky colour for the letters.

Edited by leccyflyer
Typo