Formosa Rocks!

Marc Humphries

Thanks Steve we will push that motor to its max it will take it in bursts. I have a 28" Tucano that gives me the Whizza type speed, it has slightly more than a quarter inch wing (but only just) weighs less than the Formosa, I have a 10 amp motor in that which in bursts I push to 18A no parts even get warm, as it gets going the motor unloads and the throttle only needs to be at about 1/3 it is quicker than I need and for a small model eats the sky up. I did look at the Whizza, and the other one Fizza was it? and was tempted I think you can still buy the kits according to Nigels site. just finished charging the 1500 lipo from last nights session it took 1554 Mah, I didn't land due to power loss just caution LOL so the Flight Power does have capacity.

Advert

Hi Steve we did look at that motor but better with the lower KV of the first motor can swing a bigger more efficient prop, don't want speed. Good price though isn't it? took just shy of two weeks to arrive. I have had an order in with SMC in the UK for over two weeks now and still no sign of the stuff!

Its amazing isn't it!!!! Hooraayyy for the internet!!!!!

The Fizza is the "400" version....the Whizza is a "600" version....

Incidentally TowerPro do a 18 turn version of this motor (also on United site...must get some work done!!! LOL) which has a kv of 1000.....lower max current though!!! Not much difference between that motor & the one you've highlighted though....

buy, Buy, BUY...bye bye!!!

Hi Marc, sorry I didn't get a mail saying the thread had been updated. I ordered a 1000, 2 x 1300, and a 1700 oooh and a 200 watt motor I think it came to $100 or £50 shipping was high - £10 We are still testing these batteries, inital results are promising, I will let you know how the Formosa squadron fares. More combat (close formation - sorry) tonight and we are coming along great, I must say I am really enjoying my flying. Chris managed break his Formosa tonight, we were in morning, however he assures us a broken fuselage and mount will not slow him down - it wont, he will be flying it again tomorrow. If you are reading this and thinking of getting one do it, if you can find one, it will improve your flying no end.

I'm just putting a shopping list together for United...motor, controller, shedload of 9g servos....couple of batteries.....so far I've spent nearly a pound LOL!!!!!! my only worry is that I'll get stung for import duties etc...that'd be just my luck!! As the saying goes...if I fell in a barrel of bosoms I'd come out sucking my thumb!!!

• 1 month later...
Hello, I have just bought a Formosa Mk. 1 and have almost finished covering it in lightweight fibreglass cloth. It will also get a (hopefully) lightweight paint job, possibly just a red nose, and not use many of the supplied decals. I also have strengthened the fuselage under and behind the cockpit with thin ply. This has all added about 90 grams so far.It will have a servo in each wing, I also may leave off the U/C but I am not sure yet.
I never intended to use the supplied motor, and will use a small brushless so I have been interested to read the above comments.
Has anyone else fibreglassed theirs?

Hi Richard, I am amazed that you have managed to get away with the weight, I am curious to know how it flies. We now have 6 at our club all in various states of build, we are using identical batteries (United Hobbies 1300ma) and identical 220 watt motors. Mine has come out auw of 500g spot on. It is ready to test fly if the weather would just co-operate, the others are coming along nicely. We aim to fly them all together en-mass, supposed to be formation but it will degenerate into some form of last man flying LOL It flew brilliantly on the 120Watt motor I can't wait to try the upgraded version with 220Watts!

At 220 watts & 500g it will be awesome....unlimited vertical performance. I think you might be pushing the battery a bit hard though Danny....to get 220watts that's over 20A which is around 16C...I know the battery is rated at 20C but I reckon you will shorten its life...Also 16 C will give you...er...just under 4 minutes run time....

Enjoy

Hi Steve yes its pulling over 20A. I tend to find that with some throttle management and the motor unloading in the air it will be okay, I rarely fly at full chat, I will set the timer on the first flight to 4 minutes and see how warm things are, If I cook the battery then thats a lesson learnt. At £10 a battery its not so bad, we will have to wait and see. With 6 Formosa's all fighting for the same piece of sky throttle management may well be out the window LOL

Hi Peter, I agree totally, the airframe doesn't need glassing. But it does look a bit foamie otherwise. Mine floats in nicely at 500g and the only evident damage after three months flying is from contact with other Formosas LOL. If you are pulling 12A then I think you are closer to 120Watt which is what mine had originally and adequate for limited vertical. The six of us with identical machines are being slightly looney LOL you need a lot of power for combat I mean formation.....PS I have heard some of our friends across the pond are fitting 400Watt motors in fully glassed Formosas!!! now that is looney LOLOL

Yep I have to agree with Peter too...the Formosa is brilliant as it is & what it is, is a cheap foamy airplane.....personally I can't see any point in glassing one either....buy a Formosa, fit it out with a 120-150w set up & enjoy!!!!

400W in a Formosa would be mad...it would be lethal....are you sure these are the Formosa 1's though & not the Formosa 2 which is a good bit bigger (42" span)?

Hi Steve not sure to be honest it was some stuff I was reading on another forum, I have seen ads for the Formosa two but never seen one, I thought they were a myth LOL
With a 120Watt setup the wings can be made to flex a fair bit if you are not careful with the elevator, the 220Watt version is going to need for us to be very careful and not pull excessive G's. The guys in the states with the 400watt versions probably have to glass them to take the stress. To me they should be kept cheap and simple £18.99 so it doesn't matter when they break!
We are thinking of flying them en-mass, in the evening at the next fun fly, weather permitting, want to join in?

The Formosa 2 exists but like you I haven't seen one fly.....a few shops list 'em http://www.e-flight.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=512 but never seen one reviewed which is a bit of a surprise given the rave reviews of its little brother.

An en mass launch sounds great....especially if they are all the same colour!!! Mine has been retired to the loft as its a bit tatty but this thread is making me want to get it out again!!!!! Where do you fly Danny? I'm "oop nurf" with the Skelmerdale club

PS Maybe upgrading the carbon spar to a thicker tube would be a good idea...along with lashings of epoxy to hold it all in place!!! How you dig the old one out & make the slot bigger is a problem I'll leave up to you Danny LOL!!!!!

I think the next problem to manifest itself is the bendy nature of the foam, paticularly on the control surfaces!!!

That's the problem with anything you take beyond its design brief....you add more power so it needs beefing up so it gets heavier which needs more power so you beef......vicious circle!! Lets not forget the standard motor is a 50W can jobbie so even at 150watts you've tripled the power!!! Would you put a 90 in a Fun Fighter?? (now theres a thought!!!)

If you want a pylon racer, buy one from the outset....don't get me wrong I love excess power & speed but I just think a Formosa should be left pretty much as it is....as soon as you've fitted the 150watt motor that is!!!!!

Hi Steve, you should dig it out, slap a UH 200 watt motor and one of those UH 1300 batteries and join in, I forecast carnage similar to the Redruth Funfighter display. the standard one comes with a glassfibre spar, we had toyed with carbon but to keep costs down everybody is using the standard glass ones. We also toyed with two aileron servos but the BEC would get very hot on 4 servos and probably burn out.
I fly at Greenacres MAC, in Walsall, Midlands.

PS they are all different colors, the full spec includes 9g servos x 3.
Tempted??

The reason for fibreglassing mine was solely to get some practice in covering other more expensive projects and to find out just how much weight it adds, also to learn how to treat the outside and inside curves and edges. Not neccessarily to strengthen it, although there have been a number of warnings about the fuselage breaking at the cockpit area.
I have a friend who has had two Mk. I Formosas and has a Mk.2. I have seen them all fly many times so I know how well they fly.

Hi Danny.....it certainly sounds tempting....I did fly my old Nigel Hawes 30" Tucano at the Walsall site many years ago during the middle of the week when there was no-one there. Could I bring my Fizza...? Its been described as a Balsa Formosa....only 180 watts in that one though!!!!!!

I travel around a lot & there's usually something electric in the back of the car for lunchtimes!!! The Greenacres site is the one near Walsall Airport yes? Across the playing fields from the Country Park bit??

Richard, how did the glassing go then? I hear that Poly C stuff is good...water based & works like epoxy resin but you do need a few coats apparently....You are right that the fuz is a bit weak around the cockpit area...I added some 1/16" ply doublers in the coskpit area after mine cracked......

The Formosa 2 certainly exists - I've had mine for eight months and it's a beaut. Fitted an Al's Hobbies Dualsky .15 motor, 40A Jeti ESC and HS55s throughout, sprayed it yellow + black (like the Freestyle Yak), and beefed up the wing-mounted u/c. I tend to hand-launch using underarm lob, but it will take off from grass if required, does lovely smooth pattern-ship type aeros and lands feather-light on its wheels (when pilot gets it right!) On Xpower 12C 3s 2250 lipos and 10x5 APC prop I get 9-10 min flights (even longer if I move the throttle stick back and forth...)