Formosa Rocks!

Marc Humphries

Advert

Danny - Wattage is a slight worry. When I tested the set-up my Wattsmeter showed 40A+ at just over half throttle - so I didn't open up further! Having said that, after a ten-minute flight the motor and ESC are cool and the lipo is only slightly warm. That's flying mostly on half throttle or less, and using full throttle only briefly for vertical climbs etc. I've had over 50 flights so far and no problems, touch wood.

Crikey that is a worry 40A on 3 cells, (10 volts under load. Thats going to be roughly 400 watts, you are also pushing the battery if its only 12C. All you can do is what you are doing and thats to keep an eye on the temps. The thing people do forget is that props unload tremendously in flight and what seems horrendous static may be fine once the model is moving. This is where the Eagle Tree type inflight monitors come into their own.

40A on a Dualsky 15!!!!!! Aaarrggghhhhh!!!
Thats getting very close to Magic Smoke territory...Methinks you need to prop down slightly. The Dualsky 15 is only rated at 25A max 35A for 15 sec. From the figures I assume its a 1330kv version....an 8x4 or something would be more appropriate!!!

This is the problem with electric motors...put a big prop on an IC motor & it turns it slower....an electric motor sees it as a challenge & tries to reach its design speed, pulling more & more current until a) it gets there or b) something melts!!!!

Hello all, the fibreglassing is finished. I used SP113 resin, goes on beautifully and did not use much, it hardens with a dry surface, not tacky as I thought it would be, I am not going to fill the weave, but will give it a light coat of spray paint... It feels very solid, almost like a veneered wing. Yes the covering has obviously added weight, but not enough to worry about. Waiting for the rain to stop so that I can fly it...

Danny, to my surprise, the glass went over the fairings behind the wing in one, no cutting or cheating.. I first sanded all the moulding nibs off the fuse. and wing, covered each fus. side separately then joined them. The top of the wing was one piece, nice and easy, bottom of wing in three pieces, but I think, with more experience or confidence it could be done in one. Rudder also covered. Tailplane and elevator not fibreglassed, just given a coat of epoxy.

• 2 years later...
I'm a'returner' as well Marc. Back in the '70's I only had one model flyable at a time because my Digi-Fleet 27MHz receiver and servos all had to be changed over if I wanted to fly another, in those days I just flew slope soarers. The motor on your link is the 2408-21T, I've got one on a GWS stick mount, salvaged from the wreckage of my 1st Formosa. I'm refurbishing a Formosa I was recently given so may re-use the motor but the previous owner fitted a ply plate so I'll just bolt the motor mount onto it. My old Formosa was a great model to fly, much better on the 2408-21T and 2S than the 350 brushed motor and nicads. May use 3S on the next Formosa because the fuz has been hollowed out for a 3S battery!

Hi All,

Interesting thread, I have a Mk 1 Formosa that I brought at the Nats a couple of years ago. I have also found an E-pro 2832 motor which I'm having difficulty finding any details on. Anyone know of these motors, J Perkins stocked them some years ago, but not any longer. Would it be suitable for the Formosa it's a 22 Turn motor.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 6 months later...
hi folks, i have just got a formosa mk2 i have 4 tower pro mg90 servo's and a choice of motors= dualsky xm400b or axi 2208/34. i plan to use 3cell lipos around 1600 mah with a 20 or 30 amp esc. will these servo's and one of the motors be right for this model and what prop should i be looking for. i know i should look this lot up but it does my head in i am just hoping some kind person can help thanking you in anticipation
regards phil