Simple way to apply a colour finish to a fuselage which has been glassed

I recently picked up an s/h Acrowot at and would appreciate advice on a simple (and low cost) way to apply a colour finish. The wing is film covered and can easily be re-covered.

However, the fuselage and tail have been glassed but are unpainted. I’ve only had a go at spraying the occasional cowl so no experience of spray painting larger areas, which I would have thought the most straightforward approach.  The big risk is ending up with a poor surface finish and potentially a lot of added weight. I have a small airbrush but no compressor so would be reliant on Halfords car paint. 

The alternative would be either to apply a film covering (maybe with a coat of Coverite to help adhesion) or just apply a judicious amount of trim to most of the fuselage.

Any thoughts on what the best approach might be in the circumstances ? BTW, will be electric so fuel proofing not an issue. It’s for use as a first low wing model. 

Thanks for your help.

Auto car rattle cans should be ok but choose a colour that covers well. Rub down to a matt finish with 400 wet and dry used wet and wipe clean with a lint free rag or a tack rag , available at any car paint factors or on line. Follow this eith a light coat of primer . Choose a primer colour thats best for finish coat. 

Edited by Engine Doctor

18 hours ago, Andy-H said:

I recently picked up an s/h Acrowot at and would appreciate advice on a simple (and low cost) way to apply a colour finish. The wing is film covered and can easily be re-covered.

However, the fuselage and tail have been glassed but are unpainted. I’ve only had a go at spraying the occasional cowl so no experience of spray painting larger areas, which I would have thought the most straightforward approach.  The big risk is ending up with a poor surface finish and potentially a lot of added weight. I have a small airbrush but no compressor so would be reliant on Halfords car paint. 

The alternative would be either to apply a film covering (maybe with a coat of Coverite to help adhesion) or just apply a judicious amount of trim to most of the fuselage.

Any thoughts on what the best approach might be in the circumstances ? BTW, will be electric so fuel proofing not an issue. It’s for use as a first low wing model. 

Thanks for your help.

Just a quick note on your airbrush........don't be tempted to use it with those tins of compressed gas, 'canned air' as they're called. A hopeless and expensive waste of time as I  found to my cost ages ago.  Even the cheapest airbrush will work so much better with a budget compressor - I bought a cheapy airbrush from Machine Mart (£20) and was amazed at the finish I could get after I used it with a small compressor - easily comparable with a rattle can after a little experimentation with paints and thinning, so giving good a coverage that I found quite acceptable. You can spend a fortune on airbrushes and compressors, and it's true that for very high quality or very intricate work (assuming that you've the skill), the cheap option will not do.

I was given my little compressor, but you can buy a similar device that's good for 2.5 Bar for under £70. Could easily pay for itself after a couple of jobs, given the price of rattle cans. Worth considering.

I confess to having contemplated buying a compressor on several occasions but wasn’t sure how much use I would get out of it if I’m only painting the occasional cowl. This time it may well be worth the cost, so thanks for the prompt.