Seagull Pilatus PC 9 which motor ?

Going to fix up my artf PC9. Running on 4s. I have in my mind to buy the Overlander 900 kv 3548 thumped motor. Got one in an old bile and it runs well. Probably use their 60amp rec and a 12 by 6 prop.

Is that alright, or is the 4Max set up (800kv) better ??

Albert

Advert

I haven't flown mine for a long time (long story) but iirc:

I used a generic 4060 500kV motor, 6s 3000mAh LiPo, 60A esc, 13x8 prop. I went 6s because I already used them on other models, I'm sure it would fly on 4s on the right motor / prop.

From memory, this showed somewhere between 700 - 750W input. At this, it's seems quite scale speed wise and is unlimited vertical.

It's a bit porky - from memory 6 - 6.5lbs (partly my 6s setup, I know) so I wouldn't go with a lot less power. 

It likes to be going at a fair lick before it'll lift off, and it lands pretty hot, but once the wheels touch terra firma, it stays down and doesn't bounce. Generally a nice locked in flyer (and it's got a nice aerodynamic whistle on a fast fly by. My recollection is that the published c of g is conservative, but I'd have to put mine on the balance to find out for sure.

hth

Kim

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Thanks, Graham, It says to fly it with the c of g a bit further forwards, I have just done the opposite, I stuck 60 grams of lead in the tail 🤢

I will be trying it this morning, I got this after measuring it all out.

Great, hope you get it to it fly to your liking.

I tend take the instructions and / or calculated CoG position as a start point then adjust a little bit at a time based on how it flies, taking in to account the 45 degree climb - roll inverted test and general pitch performance. I pefer ever so slight slight positive stability.

Edited by Graham Bowers