A small achievement!

paul devereux

2 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Previous claims records, given what we do day in and day out with some pretty dangerous stuff, if not show due respect, we have a very good history/record, that speaks to our competence, being under the BMFA umbrella as well is a big plus point.

Thanks John, I think I fall in the 'safe' category. I always look out for danger, and would never take off if there are people or animals around, and cut the throttle and land if someone hoved into view. At the end of the day, it is just a hobby activity, it's not a big deal to curtail it.

10 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

I learnt to fly outside a club, big field out the way, wasn't long before I joined a club though, more to see, more to learn from, and the social side of the hobby.

I would like to join a club, but not be linked to a buddy box lead- the free flying bit is the fun for me. Also my long term interest is not club orientated- I'm interested in ultra-light, slow-flying, WW1 models.

13 hours ago, Learner said:

You may find that flying an A test requires you to fly bigger circuits to what you are used to flying now, it would be worth going to a club to see their field and find out site rules. 

You may also find you are happier flying on your own land rather than flying with other people and someone elses rules.

You are right. All my flying is done within a 100m box. Going outside that would seem very strange.

Yes slope soaring, it's good to have a look out person.

My local slope has one long footpath but where I fly can be approached from two sides.

I fly well away from the footpath and can see people who may approach me by turning my head left or right. I can see people walking towards me from the front, walking up the slope on very rugged ground with no footpath, the footpath being behind me.

Yes I do have a blind spot behind me but I always fly up wind in front of me. Some sites have a cliff or steeply falling ground in front of me, the sea.

It is relatively easy to "park" a soarer in lift for a quick look see around me. Landing "check out" is normally high for a look see behind me and back out into lift, then landing called and a suitable down wind leg and landing approach.

So yes, a good look see first. You must be prepared for some moron to suddenly appear and stand just where you want to land.

Apart from landing, most if not all "flying action" takes place in front of you.

Cilan headland ( hell's mouth area ) can get busy so you must keep your Witt's about you. When it's less busy it's really great. Footpath pedestrians are visible from a good distance and are usually intelligent enough.

My local slope is usually deserted in sloping weather. It has been thus far anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, paul devereux said:

I would like to join a club, but not be linked to a buddy box lead- the free flying bit is the fun for me. Also my long term interest is not club orientated- I'm interested in ultra-light, slow-flying, WW1 models.

You would not be linked to a buddy box at our club but would have an A tested pilot stand next to you untill you passed.

If you can fly in a 100m box doing inverted circles you will have no problems passing, you would just need to practice the test schedule.

The Bmfa video for the test will give you an idea of whats expected.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paul devereux said:

An instructor will have no desire to buddy box you any longer than absolutely necessary.  From what you say, you'd be able to take off, fly around and land with no intervention.  Some clubs may want you to have a BMFA A cert before allowing you to fly solo, but they'll want you to achieve that asap if that's the case.

Of course, you don't have to join a club at all - but your ultra-light WW1 models may welcome the (usually) well-maintained runway....... and the larger flying area - they probably won't be as agile as your W4, and will obviously be more affected by any wind.

• Like 1