BOWMAN KITS - Dave Banham's Miles Magister 1 E-Convertion & Restoration

Roy Thompson

Yesterday couldn't have been any more perfect for fly. October sunshine, blue sky's and a gentle breeze all day long. smile.gif

Three more flights were added to the Magisters total today, all very gentle circuits for the most part, just getting more of a feel for her and building my confidence with the more forward CG and higher rates, more akin to Bowman's recommendations. I'm enjoying the low passes up & down the strip in the sunshine, just trying to find that scale looking speed.

One thing I hadn't tried until now was the stall. Well, I can report with full up held in, it's very, very gentle with a gentle nose drop and slight drop of the right wing. It feels like you run out of elevator authority long before anything nasty happens.

We tried the first couple proper roll's as well, they are not the fastest, but then you're not expecting them to be. However, they are reasonably axel, not requiring too much in the way of down elevator in the inverted. So happy with that.

The landing have improved smoother with less pitching, partly in the knowledge of how much I can hold her off in the flare before the stall. But it does feel like it could do with a little more elevator movement, to hold the nose up at touch down. It's still very easy to let her tip over the second the wheels touch. I will confess that on the last landing of the day, the "I'll just have one more flight!" I did try and slow her down too much on finals and drop her in hard on her nose, breaking the prop. That had to happen at some time!

• 3 weeks later...

Progress on the Maggie has been coming along slowly. The new cowling were collected a few weeks ago, and I've been working on fitting one when I've had spar time in between other stuff, like holidays. It's tough being a pensioner, so many places to visit.

The new cowl we've had made is much sturdier and weigh noticeably more than the original, with thicker layers of glass cloth. Unfortunately, this made it too snug a fit, and it has involved a lot of sanding of the inside of the cowl to get a good fit. Once that was out of the way, the cutting out was simple enough, following the line from the fist cowl.

Two things I wanted to do with this cowl is (1) conceal the fixings to some degree by placing them where the latches would be, and by making dummy latches for the over locations. (2) add other details like the air intakes, panels and exhaust. Fire up the 3D printer, intakes and latches printed.

Next step painting.

20231012_170411.jpg

20231025_173457.jpg

Fixing V1.JPG

20231029_131628.jpg

• Like 1

Did a little more on the cowl yesterday, and we are almost there.

I’ve added the last of the panel latches, and when painted I think they look better than I expected. Before applying the primmer, I laid in some panel lines with 0.75mm tape unfortunately you have to look closely to really see them, they are a bit too fine, compared to how large the gaps are on the real thing. Hopefully, if I add some weathering, it will make them stand out a lot more.

The other item I wanted to add was an exhaust, and I did consider printing one, but after looking around the workshop I came across some aluminium tubing that is about the right size. So after some cutting and bending and shaping, we have an exhaust. It's all too clean and shiny for now, but that can be shorted later.

20231030_174623C.jpg

20231030_174556B.jpg

20231030_163938B.jpg

A little time back, there was a complete kit for sale and I contacted the seller, who kindly sent me copies of the instructions and pictures of the plan. Just in case they are any help to anyone else with a Bowman Magister, I leave what I have here.

On top of this, there was also a copy of a feature on the Miles Magister from the Aeroplane Monthly March 1980 Vol 8 Num 3.

image_67129089(1).jpg

image_67143681.jpg

image_67166721.jpg

image_67126017.jpg

BOWMAN KITS.pdf

• Like 2

Had an hour at the field this morning before the rain started, but long enough to check out a few things and take some pictures now see completed. 

One thing I noticed from the last flight was how much down trim was on the elevator, suggesting the CG needs to go more forward. Will do that before the next flight.

IMG_1665.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

How spooky is this ? Just turned the calendar over.

Martin did I see you’ve just the motor to throw in Neils, for sale aswell.

Neil if someone wants this what part of the country are you in, and do you have this up for sale anywhere else.

image.jpg