Dazza's Ben Buckle Super 60, 4ch.

Hello, I’m new here to model building and this is my first build, building the Ben Buckle 4 channel Super 60!
  I’ve managed  pretty good with the building of the tail and Fuselage but now onto the wing and there’s a lack of information I can’t see on the plan.  I could do with some guidance on Instructions 2&3. 

for instance where is W1 on the plan and what is it 👹😂

If anyone could assist it would be much appreciated 👍🏼🍻

IMG_6182.jpeg

I can't make much out on the plan at that resolution I'm afraid, so can't see a reference on the plan to W1.

However, the wing has a centre section and two wing panels. Anything with a "1" is likely to be in the centre section.

Also, there are a couple of plans of this model on Outerzone, and one has a build log. They may help, if I've not 😉 managed to do so.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=552

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4059

Well that was mentioned yesterday in Chris's Super 60 build.    I also suggested to note that aileron wings have less dihedral than non- aileron wings.  Make sure of this point when joining wing panels.  

How are the servos mounted in Ben Buckles version.   Have you cut holes in ribs for servo leads?

Also someone said that balsa spars are not really good enough for modern RC so spruce should be used instead. What material is provided?

Edited by kc

It would appear from the Ben Buckle plan shown that a central aileron servo is used with torque rods.     If you view the Colin Usher plan from Outerzone you will see an alternative of 2 aileron servos mounted further out on the wing - this needs holes in the ribs for servo extension leads.  ( thats why I mentioned it - needs doing at an early stage )  Most people think that using  2 aileron servos is easier and better.

Further study of the Ben Buckle plan you show in a photo suggests there may be no dihedral at all.   Are the dihedral braces shown bottom right on the wing plan actually dead straight?

( original non-aileron wing had dihedral but it looks as though the wing now is dead flat to allow torque rods and single central aileron servo to be used )

Note that if the wing is flat then you should not cut the spars short but leave them long enough to fit the central section.

Central section ribs may be different to allow for the sheeting.

Edited by kc

Dazza I think that if the heading was  Dazza's Ben Buckle Super 60 or something that mentions the model then you would attract the attention of those familiar with the model.  Would get more hints I reckon.   

You would need to ask a Moderator to change that for you by clicking on the extreme top left corner to 'Report'  

David's opinion is valid but as the kit and plan is for ailerons then it would be wise to build with ailerons. as per the newer BB plan.   In particular the spar doublers will be cut to suit ailerons ( little or no dihedral)  Probably most people would build with ailerons nowadays!     One of my clubmates flys his Super 60 all the time and I am sure that has ailerons- beautiful flying plane with electric power.

• Like 2

Another question I had was what size prop I should be looking at? And what material is best, plastic, wood, carbon fibre?…., Will be putting a .40 glow engine in it, I suspect the engine may suggest the size but not sure as haven’t purchased one yet..

.40 2 strokes normally run on 10 x6  to 11x 7.   Depends on engine though.  11 x7 works well and keeps noise down.  Note -don't use electric props on i.c

However .40 may be overpowering the Super 60 = seems  a modern .25 2 stroke may be OK

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

Are you a club member?   If so you could ask around to see if anyone is selling an engine.   If not a member check that your local club allows i.c -  some clubs are all electric, some allow i.c. only on certain days.

• Like 1

He says he wants to learn to use ailerons so i assume he can pole a basic 3ch round.  Dazza, if you cant fly i urge you to build a proper S60 with RET and get a mate to teach you.  Dont waste a super 60.

Actually my lads learnt on hobbyking supercubs...i hate to say it but better than a S60 really as they bounce!