Inboard Camera

Birgir

• 2 weeks later...

To solve the Castor oil problem for my pilot I ‘ve added an exhaust pipe extension made from an electrical conduit. 

I have bench tested it and it seems not to have too much effect on the running of the engine. 

I have not yet done an inflight testing but will do so at the first opportunity.

I wonder if anyone here has the knowledge to calculate the resistance of the extension and do an educated guess about the outcome.

The measurements are:

The cross-section of the end of the muffler output is 50 square mm.

The cross-section of the extension pipe is 133 square mm, i.e., 2.64 times the muffler.

The length of the extension is 320 mm.

B.

GOPR3050.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there.

Now I‘ve managed to test my new setup with a thicker window pane and an exhaust extension. 

The autumn is coming here in Iceland and the cold northerly winds are blowing.  6 – 7 m/s from north i.e. off shore wind is perhaps not the best situation for a test. Our airfield is very close to the shore as you can see on the video above and it is the North Atlantic Ocean.

Well, the take-off was very steep but soon I got control of the model and started playing in the wind trying to get our windsock on camera. After a few minutes the engine started to sound a little strange and I wondered if that was because my new fuel had a little more oil than what I used to use.

Suddenly all went quiet – dead engine.  My Sig Hog Bipe is not a floater. Luckily the model was in the northern part of my flying envelop but there was quite some distance to the landing strip.  I tried to gain speed by pointing the nose a bit down and turning into the wind, but the wind was to much – when turning, the inner wing lost the lift, and I couldn’t do anything but listen to the all too familiar sound of balsa breaking on a nearby football pitch.

The theory is that the exhaust extension caused the motor to overheat and stop.  As can be seen on the still below the extension did not solve the oil problem anyway and on top of that my camera was not on video but time laps stills.  The only success was that I did not loose the camera to the Atlantic Ocean and the model can most likely be fixed.

B.

SHBokt2023.jpg

Edited by Birgir