My poor V-2 with wings

Simon Chaddock

My VTO A4b (V-2 with wings) used to looks like this.

06May18.JPG.7a84df1c949f9cd345bf27c566f1dde0.JPG

It now looks like this after removing all the damage resulting from a 'nose plant' after loosing sight of it in the sun.

Repair2.JPG.2fe4e60fa4ad8d46f3eb4b2df8c370d5.JPG

Although the servos, ESC, Rx, UBEC and batttery were all in the crush zone everything still worked. It is a tribute to the energy absorbing crushability of the Depron structure that the remaining part of the airframe is completely undamaged.

I do still have the plans I used 8 years ago to build it. The test is can I still do it and do I have enough rare 2mm Depron?

The original build used lots of Depron "ring" formers but they are very wastfull of Depron so I will use 3D printed formers instead. Probably each a gram or two heavier but needs must.

A most unlikely build technique. It needs a lot of 'eye ball' to ensure it starts off true and square.

NewNose1.JPG.680b4117c7b80c177f3fde0b06741b76.JPG 

Just 4 planks to start with. This in the nose as far as the position where the servos are mounted. The rest will be built separately.

Note how the next former is used to 'hold in' the planks whilst the glue sets on the previous one.

Still a long way to go.

• Like 1

The Lemon stab rx, the ESC and BEC installed.

Electrics3.JPG.81a1239ec7fed083fffcbac6ef5cc16d.JPG

In its origianl form large parts of the skin had to be cut away to give access to build mountings to install these components and then the skin made good.

The same was done to build in a battery box right in the nose, skin again replaced but leaving a small battery hatch.

My current thinking is avoid a battery hatch and to have a complete removable nose cone to install the battery.

I am concious that the printed formers are heavier than the original Depron ones and it is after all a VTO.

Still thinking about the easiest and lightest way to do it.  

• Like 2

Just a quick update.

I had marked the orignal CofG point.

CofG.JPG.d37f59ec9fe701ef4a46f27962233b9d.JPG

However a check with the new nose and battery position revealed the CofG was well forward of this point by nearly 25 mm.

The only practical solution would be to move the battery back so it is now behind the removable nose rather than in it.

NewBatPostn.JPG.6bbfaa93ab917899fcc8568ead9ea8d9.JPG

The new CofG is just 4 mm ahead of the original mark. Happy with that as slightly ahead is better than behind!

Testing requires a really calm day but when that arrives is anybodies guess. 

Edited by Simon Chaddock