Battery back up in multiple receiver glider.

Paul Bromley

Hi, I am hoping by spring to have a large ( 6.2m 11kg) electric glider ready for the air ! I intend to use two receivers in parallel as eight channels is enough, and the motor power will be opto isolated from the receivers and servos. I want to have battery redundancy for the receivers i.e. the whole radio powered by two battery packs together or in isolation. I would welcome suggestions on how to achieve this, I would also like to avoid switches and have a plug together supply ?

Any thoughts and advice welcome. I am experienced modeller but getting long in the tooth and some of the tech stuff available confuses me. I use Graupner HOTT radio.

Thanks

Paul.

Advert

Paul for redundancy on both receivers you'd need to power them both with the two receiver batteries, if it was me I'd use a Multiplex or Powerbox safety switch, Multiplex do one with dual outputs so you could use one to each receiver. For a plug in only option then ideally you'd need a diode in each power supply, then Y lead them together and then a feed to each receiver.

Many thanks Frank I was thinking about not bothering with the plug in option but using a switch, as you suggest, and taking one output to each receiver. The only point of failure would be the one wire to each receiver but I guess the chances of that happening are remote. Both receivers will be doing the same thing so no flying surfaces would be lost by one lead failure !

You could run a lead between each receiver from a spare output as additional redundancy, without the signal wire if you are using spare servo channels. Sort of like a ring main.

Not sure how Hott rxs work but on MPX receivers if you used the BD port the receivers are then linked together, so also provide signal backup too, check your hott rxs might have a similar function.

Edited by Frank Skilbeck

Another option is the Optipower Ultraguard - the advantages with that are that you know your backup battery will always be charged, and telemetry or visual (via high intensity lighting) alerts can be added so you know if you have an issue with your main power supply. See my Sebart Miss Wind thread...

Edited by MattyB