Taranis QX7S battery flying time

PDB

I've purchased a secondhand Taranis QX7S which has the following battery in it and I was expecting more flying time from the battery or maybe I am expecting too much?

image.thumb.png.0cc8c864d07a16158175686ea4fa99b9.png

Charging using the FrSky charger via the TX charging port, when the charger light goes out OpenTX reports the battery is at 7.2v and I've set a low battery alert at 6.5v and I was hearing this after only 40-50 minutes of flying.

Checked the telemetry files from last night and it confirms during the session of 5 flights TxBat(V) started at 7.2v dropping to 6.5v, on checking OpenTX this morning it reports the battery at 6.9v.

In OpenTX what sort of reading should be expected when it is fully charged and what would be the right number to be set for a low battery warning?

Edited by PDB

Fully charged you should see more than 7.2V, more like 8 or more. If the battery is dropping 0.7V, but started at 8V, it would still be 7.3V.

There is a setting to make the value you see match the battery. You need to measure the battery voltage, with the Tx on, and adjust the displayed value to match.

Either the battery is poor or this setting is incorrect.

Mike

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Blandford said:

Fully charged you should see more than 7.2V, more like 8 or more. If the battery is dropping 0.7V, but started at 8V, it would still be 7.3V.

There is a setting to make the value you see match the battery. You need to measure the battery voltage, with the Tx on, and adjust the displayed value to match.

Either the battery is poor or this setting is incorrect.

Mike

In OpenTX there's the "battery range" function which I understand is just a visual meter, on first charge 7.2v was shown in the TX UI so I set the "battery range" separately from 6.5-7.5 to get a warning at 6.5v.

Sounding from what yourself and Frank have said the battery is hosed so I've now ordered a lipo. Thank you both. 👍