Max Thrust Aggressor Easyglider 1800mm

Caveman

Hi, a friend of mine has recently bought an Aggressor Easyglide.

He had some difficulty in fitting the wings. Having sanded the plywood tongues and chamfered the end the wings now fit.

However, it would seem that the wing fixings are two plastic pins which push through fuselage into two holes in the wing tongues, seemingly with no way to secure the pins.

Has anyone else bought this plane and have any experience of the wing fixing method? Your comments would be welcome.

Thanks GDB

Edited by Caveman
Additional text

Before you fly it check that the motor mount grub screws are both present and done up tightly. A fellow club member maidened his and after about 30 seconds the motor stopped. After a dead stick landing we checked the motor and found that it was free to rotate on the mount and it wound up the connecting leads all the way back to the ESC and then ripped one out of the motor. New motor and possibly new ESC required, not happy.

1 hour ago, Caveman said:

However, it would seem that the wing fixings are two plastic pins which push through fuselage into two holes in the wing tongues, seemingly with no way to secure the pins.

Has anyone else bought this plane and have any experience of the wing fixing method? Your comments would be welcome.

No experience with this model, but I do vaguely remember a glider from the 80s or 90s with a retention method very similar... the pins had a chamfer on them, were put in form the top, and just friction held them in. Did seem a bit sketchy to me, but the owner never seemed to have any issues with it, I guess because the lifting force on the wings put enough load on the pins to keep them firmly in place. It was a low stressed airframe though; I wouldn't use this method on anything higher speed. If you are worried, just put some tape around the LE at the wing root, that should sort it.

Edited by MattyB

We have a member who has a fairly large wingspan glider with a similar set up.

A pair of tapered wooden pins are inserted from the top of the fuselage going through a pair of tongues which stick out of each wing root.

The pins have never moved yet as I guess the tongues exert a pulling force in flight which prevents them moving.

He does fly his glider in a spirited fashion so seems a fair system to use.

• Like 1

Many thanks Shaun, Matty and Andy for your replies. 

We'll check the motor mount grub screws and applied some thread lock.

Surprisingly there don't appear to be any reviews, unboxing or assembly videos of this glider.

Here's some photos of the wing fixing system.

Aggressor_1.thumb.jpg.4c119145dd1be1d7726e8dd79a10c915.jpg

Aggressor_2.thumb.jpg.796077b366a979d7af8d94e72f68bdc1.jpg

Aggressor_3.thumb.jpg.8b4b60330f1c4c7b165d56a8d707c5b3.jpg

It's interesting that the pin method has been used before, however, it just doesn't seem very satisfactory! 

I have a plan to convert it to two nylon screws - we shall see.

GDB

1 hour ago, Caveman said:

It's interesting that the pin method has been used before, however, it just doesn't seem very satisfactory! 

I have a plan to convert it to two nylon screws - we shall see.

I honestly wouldn't go to the trouble - just put 2" of tape wrapped around the LE at where the wing joins the fuselage, and go fly. For a model like this that will provide plenty of additional friction to keep the wings from separating if you are worried about that. After all, they fly DS models at around Mach 0.7, and those wings are secured by nothing more than a wrap of tape as well!

PS - I just noticed in your photo that each pin has a hole in the top. Is there perhaps another part that connects these two pins (a short rod, or even just a rubber band?) and puts some additional side load into the pins to anchor them more securely? What do the instructions say?

Edited by MattyB

I have belatedly just realised that, in addition to the pins needing to fall out in the opposite direction to gravity, at least when flying right-side up(!), you also have the friction of the mating foam surfaces on the wing and fuselage working in your favour. I know it isn't the most elegant system, but based on that I'd have no problem flying this as is, even without tape (I've flown my Durafly Excalibur many times more than the friction of the foam mating surfaces and incidence pins holding the wings onto the joiner, and despite being a much faster it's always been fine).

Edited by MattyB