Molicel P45B Lion Battery

Tosh McCaber

• 5 weeks later...

According to the data sheet the maximum current is 45 amps rather than the 100+ amps claimed in the YouTube video.  Also the IR is given as 15 milliohms DC (5 milliohms AC, which seems odd for a DC source).  The weight of an Overlander 4250 mA hour 4S LiPO is 410 grams but 4 x P45B cells @ 70 grams each will be about 300 grams (including connector etc) so a saving of 100 grams.  They're more expensive than a 4S LiPO at about £40 for 4 (there may be cheaper sources - I didn't check thoroughly),

They're physically smaller than a 4S LiPo but a different shape which would affect some of my models at 45mm square x 70mm as opposed to 40 x 35 x 140 for the LiPo I checked.

At first glance they don't appear to be quite as fantastic as implied but I'm sure worth a look even if only for the larger number of charge cycles (and safer chemistry?).  I'm certainly tempted to try to make up a pack as an experiment. I draw fewer than 45 amps on the vast majority of my models.  The lower weight might not help, of course if it affects the CoG and you need to add ballast.

I have witnessed a person flying these packs and it was he who generated my interest, I then checked the video which supported what I had witnessed. I agree re the CofG, extra weight may be required. In my case I use two 4s 2200, at £35 each so a cost saving can be made as I will only require one at 4500mah, and extra time is a bonus hoping for a win win.

A 4500mah lipo will not fit into my plane due to the length.

How are you configuring them, Phil?  Joining cells end to end is a bit tricky to do directly (I tried years ago with NiCads).  I further checked prices and found some at 5.65 ex VAT but there's a minimum order value of £50 here.  It will also be necessary to fit balance leads as well as charge/discharge connectors to any home-made packs.

Geoff, I am making a square 4 pack, 70 x 42 approx, soldering copper strips 6 x 1.5 mm with an 100watt iron, don’t want battery getting hot, and a friend  is making some 3d printed end caps. I purchased 8 batteries at £61, from Cell Supply, they have two sites one for commercial and one for private buyers, you are correct it’s £41 about for four from the private site.  Minimum order of £50 from the commercial site. Also adding a balance lead so charging will be same as for a li Po, as per the videos.

• Like 1