Flair Fokker Dr1 1/4 scale right thrust question.

Having picked up a Flair 1/4 scale Dr1 and fitted a Zenoah 26cc to it i am just about ready for the test flight, the firewall appears to have a VERY small amount of right built in but the kit instructions that came with it say add 10mm of right rudder when setting the controls up. I am assuming this is acting as a `right thrust` set up rather than in being set in the firewall? Anyone on here flying this model can advise what they have thrust wise on their model?

Advert

One thing you could do, and I'm sure most radios are now capable of, is to mix a bit of rudder with throttle - its the digital version of side-thrust!

How much mixing can only be found by experiment. Put the mixing on a switch and fly at a reasonably high level until you are comfortable. If the radio is capable you may be able to adjust the gain from the transmitter, slowly increasing the rudder gain until you find a happy medium.

On the higher end radios, its possible to infinitely vary the gain. With Futaba gear its in AFR (Adjustable Function Rate) and can be a smooth 'spline' transition or a stepped 'point' transition.  

I've applied mixing like this on biplanes before - it looks tidier than a lopsided front end and where you are effectively stuck with a built-in 'gain'.

Works well with vintage models too.