Flair SE5A- construction diary.

Vintage

Jon, this isn't my model or thread, I just hijacked it whilst looking for some info (sorry Vintage). My incomplete fuselage was destroyed in a house move last year so I have drawn the model in CAD so I can cut myself a replacement kit to rebuild it. I need to remake the cabane struts as part of that.  

ohhhhhhhhh. Now it all makes sense. I blame Christmas excess slowing my brain. 

I would guess that 15mm x 3mm strip would work? Something along those lines. Depending on the grade you might need to anneal it before bending to shape. Some soap and some fire should take care of that job. 

However, the angles might be a bit of a nightmare to form at home so you may be better off making individual struts from 3mm threaded rod, adjusting the lengths to suit the rigging angles, and then decorating them with wooden pieces once the final settings are secured by soldering the whole lot together. It would have the added advantage that you can remove the struts and this will make covering less of a faff. 

The originals are probably 1/8" x 1/2" aluminium (dural? - I have no idea of light alloy grades).  So perhaps 3mm x 12mm now - the model predates the common use now of metric units. IIRC I drilled and tapped mine rather than use a nut and bolt because the nuts would be inaccessible once the model was complete. I probably tapped it 4BA  - I'd use 4mm now.  I also made the top wing attachment with bolts in the wing going through holes in the top of the cabane struts and used nuts (4BA again) rather than try to locate holes in the wing from below.  I was a very novice builder at the time - it was my 3rd or 4th build.  It's still flying but electrically powered.

Thanks Geoff. I'm pleased to hear yours is still flying. I think we are looking at 2024 grade if dural is the original material or maybe 6082. Thanks for the help.

Vintage - great project with lovely upgrades tot he kit. I'm looking forward to seeing this finished.