Dynamix carb question

extra slim

Hi All. I know the topic of dynamix carbs generates lots of debate. I have used them successfully in the past and understand them. I have recently inherited a Speed 61. Which has a dynamix which has some oddities. The main one, being that it order to lean it out, the needle is virtually fully wound in, with only 1/4 turn left.. This is very odd. I'm wondering whether the needle is short and from a 40 perhaps?. But I am not sure how many of the components differ from the 40 to the 60 to the 90 etc??.. The spiggot on the case will be different, but not sure about the rest. Does anyone know?, or have any ideas as to why?. BTW. The slide bar is in the correct place, with the "eye" in the centre when fully open etc

Ive had exactly that on a dynamix carb.  Suspect the needle was off a different engine but I had a spare. 

Had a similar thing with a Enya with too short a needle.   I put the needle assembly in a lathe and pushed the needle out from the body a few mm using the tailstock which worked.  It stayed well locked to the body despite being moved so that may be worth a try?

Edited by dave windymiller

Funny, I thought it might be made up of spares and hence my question of whether for example, is the needle on a 40 Dynamix the same as one off a 60.. I’ll see if I can source an example and measure. Thanks for taking time to reply. Much appreciated 

I used these successfully some years ago then later obtained a box full of them in various states. They must have been made in different bike sheds because although they all came from 60`s the parts like sliders were not all the same thickness. Once the spraybar has been removed it is very difficult to re assemble in the right place. I thought I knew the things quite well but gave up trying to get one to work properly on an identical motor to that used previously.

• Like 1

Hey, thanks Guys, they are very UN-Germanic by all accounts.. I have sorted mine actually, I had a spare need, with a spring extension. I removed that, and there was about 3mm of the rear end of the needle. Balanced over a hole in a block of wood, and gently tapped it through to make it longer, and bingo. Good peak, with a few turns either way for comfort, and then to the slow runner, got that about 8.5/10, so its been a devil, but managed to get it behaving. 

Thanks for the help chaps