Is there a difference between an aeromodeller and a model flyer and does it matter anyway?

Hi! My name is David and I'm an aeromodeller.

(All together) "Hi David, welcome to the group!"

Seriously I do not belittle fliers who assemble ARTFs, they usually do not have the time, skill or interest to build a model. I came up through the free flight, control-line r/c route and until about twenty years ago if I wanted to have a model, I had to build it stick by stick. I'm not saying that this makes me superior but I did learn something about aerodynamics when trimming those free flight models which has helped with my r/c models. I also learned how to repair models! Furthermore, there's something quite attractive about choosing your own colour schemes for sports models, or at least, that appeals to me, others are not bothered.

So I build a fair bit I'm currently working on a Pegasus Models Mystic, a DB Sport& Scale Auster and a French trainer called a Baron but I've also bought ARTFs from time to time. The WOT 4 Foam-E was a delight to fly and the fact that I kept wrecking undercarriages was caused more by my inadequate flying than anything wrong with the design and I'm hoping to acquire a Kyosho Calmato for my birthday next month.  😏

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Learner said:

Call it what you like, to most people were just a group of sad old men that haven't grown up playing with toy planes!

Why the words do matter is that local borough councils and other national authorities have (or, in these straightened times, had.. ) funding available for local sports organisations. If we keep referring to model flying as a hobby or a pastime we’ve rather shot ourselves in the foot before we’ve started. If you don’t care that’s fine; it just possibly screws it up for other flyers and leaves still more for the footballers.

5 minutes ago, Martin Dilly 1 said:

Why the words do matter is that local borough councils and other national authorities have (or, in these straightened times, had.. ) funding available for local sports organisations. If we keep referring to model flying as a hobby or a pastime we’ve rather shot ourselves in the foot before we’ve started. If you don’t care that’s fine; it just possibly screws it up for other flyers and leaves still more for the footballers.

Correct, I'm an elite sportsman in training to travel the world representing my country in the sport.

Unfortunately no matter how much I try to explain this to my neighbour, she still thinks I'm wasting my time should and act my age. 

I cant wait to make her eat her words when the council gives me all this money😂

• Haha 1