? for timbo

Ernie

Hi Timbo, I wonder what happened to the recent thread about the two lads who were learning to fly alone (sorry, I cant remember the title) It was beginning to open up some interesting questions re. safety issues. I think that it really is important that we self regulate, or the grey suits will begin to do it for us.  The nature of what we do makes it dangerous..whirling blades, fast moving flying objects..highly combustible liquids, powerful electrical bits, etc.

Have a good new year           ernie

Advert

I knecked it.  I did moderate it, and gave ample "warning" to those involved about the way it was going....but the warnings were not heeded. I have only ever deleted 3 threads in my entire time as moderator on this forum and assure you that I do not do so lightly - and certainly not without adequate "warning".

I agree entirely that the nature of the game is inherently fraught with potential dangers, and I do not subscribe to the whole nanny state thing either, believing instead that people should take responsibility for their own actions, and not expect some H+S busybody to do it for them. However, having some irresponsible mischief maker suggest to a first time lone flier that " if it hits something just turn and run" and not to bother with things like insurance etc is not acceptable. The OP also failed to respond to my requests and comments, choosing instead to ignore the advice being given by myself and indeed several others involved in the thread.

I (one of the 2 boys ) would acctually like to thank all the people that gave thier advise in that thread as I believe it may have made my friend realise that modelflying isnt just chucking a little toy around, even thought it may seem like it with a hobbyzone supercub, but infact something quite alot more dangerous with alot of skill needed to be able to do it properly. I also believe that his 'dangerous' flight has made him realise the same aswell. Its just up to him now if he wants to progress with the hobby or leave it. I think that my friend would have heeded your advise if it was at any other time, but he just wanted to try out his new pressie and all ready had made his mind up that he wanted to fly on that day.

Ben.

Hi guys, Timbo, I'm sure the knecking was the right thing to do, and totally agree about the nanny state and H&S busybodies. Also, Ben I think you have learned an important lesson, and have brought up interesting safety issues. Maybe now is a good time for opinions to be aired

ernie

Yes, Killing the thread was certainly the right thing. I think its bad that planes like the hobbyzone supercub is sold in some toy shops without any advise what so ever, or very little advise. So this may lead to people believing they are toys when infact they are not. There are propably many people out thier with no experiense or though of safety, using these planes, and helicopters(£30 quid ones from the market) in busy parks etc.

It worries me too when somebody who hasn't a clue about aviation could possibly dessimate our hobby  on buying a toy ( no insurance etc )with a bit of help from the nanny states media we all have to put up with the consequences ' In other words ,responsible thinking caring thinking people will be penalised . Thank God we have the BMFA to look after the real enthusiasts . Long may they continue their work on behalf of us all   No grumpy smiley for once !

Hi

May I add my penny worth as someone who was involved with the original thread, and could see where it was leading and could do nothing about it. Fortunatly we have someone who can, ie Timbo and I would like to propose a vote of thanks to him for keeping the forum on the right track

Thanks once again

Garry

Thanks guys, its nice to know we are getting it prettty well right

David and I are keen to continue the reputation of this site as being friendly, and although we do try to strike a balance between fun / right of expression / and fact versus fiction etc - sometimes, certain people will just have nothing  better to do than try to cause trouble - in those cases we act quickly to prevent threads becoming battlegrounds. I am sorry that the OP and others who made sensible contributions to that thread have had their work knecked - but...well, there ya go.

I did a lot of posting on it myself, and thats gone too!