Limbo Dancer Ken andersons old bird

so i found an old pic of my limbo dancer chilling out in the loft spoke with my parents and im going over theres one weekend and im gonna grab it and bring it home as far as i know it is current outfitted with an engine and running gear but gonna be looking to get new radio gear as still running an old 35mhz radio and would like the new 24ghz gear but yeah hears kennys old limbo dancer that i was gifted 

191568_1884500680219_3933895_o.jpg

• Like 1

The first thing would be to get the weight so that someone can advise on a suitable electric motor.  If it's oil soaked and built heavily anyway it may need a slightly larger electric motor than a Limbo built specially for electric.   

I have an electric Limbo Dancer kit ready to build so I could let you know how the electric motor is fitted on later kits - a ply box bolted to the firewall.    However the method SLEC suggest of removing the wing to insert/ remove the Lipo does not suit me and I will consider having a hatch on top big enough to insert a 4S3000 Lipo and connect up from top.   Personally I consider connecting and disconnecting a Lipo needs to be done easily for safety reasons.  ( by the way - check out what safety precautions people take with electric as an electric starts so instantly! )

It may be worth seeing what others have done for Lipo access.

20 minutes ago, john davidson 1 said:

Cut the fire wall off and extend the tank bay to make a   battery box,

Seems a good idea but if the fuselage is oil soaked it might not be possible to get a good glue joint! -depends on condition.  A new fuselage could be easier-it's the most simp[e fuselage.

Edited by kc

2 hours ago, ken anderson. said:

my old Limbo Dancer?.......we must be talking about a long time back...i can just remember it...

ken anderson...ne...1....Limbo dept.

very very long time back my dad aka hughie taught me to fly and i rember you gifted me this and a delta wing glider which i also still have 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kc said:

Seems a good idea but if the fuselage is oil soaked it might not be possible to get a good glue joint! -depends on condition.  A new fuselage could be easier-it's the most simp[e fuselage.

i feel like the engine i ran had exhaust that kept everything out the way so shouldnt be oli soaked and the plane was always wiped down after every flight 

25 minutes ago, DavyW22 said:

very very long time back my dad aka hughie taught me to fly and i rember you gifted me this and a delta wing glider which i also still have 

I've got you now Davy,happy days man....had some great times with your dad,hope he is well.....

Ken Anderson....ne...1 ... memories dept.

aye yeah he continues to fly but has his little dji drone was speaking with him a few days back and hes gonna gift me his sky king glider aswell but im thinking with the limbo i might just leave it nitro as electric is gonna be a big job to convert to electric 

• Like 1

It's not a big or difficult job to convert the Limbo to electric - the SLEC kit shows just a ply box about 1.5 inches deep to take the motor mount forward, while the Lipo goes inside the fuselage with ESC on top.   Not difficult to arrange a hatch to connect up.   Some people like to use threaded bolts to extend motor forwards.

instead of ply box.   However you might follow the old saying  " if it ain't broke don't fix it "  and fly it with a glow engine as before.  Your choice.   Of course some clubs have longer flying hours for electric or are even electric only.  Other reasons for using electric are that it doesn't get your clothes or car oily or smelly and you don't have to buy fuel.   You don't need a starter either.

Whatever you decide check that the switch harness and nicad are still OK - look for black wire corrosion.