Models and engines. Help needed please.

7 minutes ago, kc said:

When you have the measurements it would be worth putting a new  "Identify this plane"  posting here on the forum to see if anyone else knows the design.   It is possible the Continental was copied in the Far East and sold as an ARTF plane under another name.   With a name the model with engine might sell more easily.

Sorry for being thick but ARTF?

I hate acronyms too!  Almost Ready To Fly  is the proper term - its these cheap ( at first, not now ) ready built planes mostly from Asia which have dominated the market in recent years.

1 minute ago, kc said:

I hate acronyms too!  Almost Ready To Fly  is the proper term - its these cheap ( at first, not now ) ready built planes mostly from Asia which have dominated the market in recent years.

Ah ok. This one was built from a kit with press out wooden bits, then covered in film. I vaguely remember it as I paid for it, and the engine, as a birthday present. Certainly wasn’t what I’d call cheap though. Was probably about 12-15 years ago now at some air show we all went to as a group for a significant ( 70 I think ) birthday.

It's ironic that an unstarted kit would be worth more than a built one even though when built it has all the extras included.   So it might not fetch what you remember it costing!   It's a fact of aeromodelling -the builder has all the fun of building and that was your present to him.   It looks a nicely finished model and I bet he really enjoyed building it.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2024 at 17:35, kc said:

It's ironic that an unstarted kit would be worth more than a built one even though when built it has all the extras included.   So it might not fetch what you remember it costing!   It's a fact of aeromodelling -the builder has all the fun of building and that was your present to him.   It looks a nicely finished model and I bet he really enjoyed building it.

He definitely enjoyed making it so well worth the money spent.

Id rather let a keen flier have it for peanuts than have to just send it to a random auction house with the other remaining bits. It is a nice model & should be flown.

Thanks for all your help here. I will email the local groups & see if anyone wants to take it complete before I remove the engine & put it on eBay.

It does have a fuel tank and some servos in, so just needs radio gear to get it flying I think. Any idea on value given that I do want it to go to a good home rather than hang from the roof of some trendy chain pub.

Thanks, Simon

State you THINK it's a Nor Cal Continental probably with OS 60FP with the quantity of servos.   Specify servo make and Number if you see it. 

.   Only receivers for 2.4 Ghz are worth anything now.   I suggest you state 'open to reasonable offers'.     Reject any offers less than £50.     I would say £80 would give the buyer a  fair deal IF the motor runs OK.   You might get more if you tried (£100 to £120 ) or you might settle for less to a 'good home'   Test flying runs a risk of destruction but just running an engine would be OK with an experienced pilot who knows safety procedure.

Suggest you find a prop ( any prop ) so the engine can be turned over by hand or ask the viewer to bring one to fit so he can judge the engine turns OK.

• Thanks 1

Aeromodelling is a small community really so if you email the local clubs mention the builders name if he came from that area.  Chances are that someone will have known him and know of his building skill which may sell the model.   Taking the model along to the club when they have most of the members there might be acceptable to the club and could be anice way to pass the model back into the right hands.

My view on prices is based on looking at the secondhand models on sale at the Old Warden model events last year.   Lots of nice glow models that were still there at the end when I looked again for bargains.   Those models which were priced at about the value of just the engine had already been sold.    Bigger models didn't sell even though they were nicely made - nobody had room I suppose.    Electric models sold well as this is the most popular thing in the south of England where open space is rare and noise a problem.   -

56 minutes ago, kc said:

State you THINK it's a Nor Cal Continental probably with OS 60FP with the quantity of servos.   Specify servo make and Number if you see it. 

.   Only receivers for 2.4 Ghz are worth anything now.   I suggest you state 'open to reasonable offers'.     Reject any offers less than £50.     I would say £80 would give the buyer a  fair deal IF the motor runs OK.   You might get more if you tried (£100 to £120 ) or you might settle for less to a 'good home'   Test flying runs a risk of destruction but just running an engine would be OK with an experienced pilot who knows safety procedure.

Suggest you find a prop ( any prop ) so the engine can be turned over by hand or ask the viewer to bring one to fit so he can judge the engine turns OK.

Thanks. 
I have a propeller which was on the plane.