EdgeTX Logs - implications

A while ago, my much loved Wot4 completely lost radio contact and buried itself in a large field of soft mud and Wheat.  It was not interference, just total loss of radio contact - no warning messages apart from a 'Telemetry Lost' voice alert....

So, I went and did some experimenting.  I switched on logging, and, following range checks (both in Range Check mode and the old-fashioned way)I flew circuits around myself, getting wider and wider to see if I got and 'RSSI Low' or 'RSSI Critical' messages.

I've looked at a couple - this is from my ic powered Double Trouble:

RSSI(dB) TRSS(dB)         TQly
Max 94 112 97
Min 45 38 64
Average 66.91 70.45 87.83

This is from my little EDF Hawk (I may have inadvertently turned the volume down and missed any verbal warnings...):

RSSI(dB) TRSS(dB)         TQly
Max 90 125 100
Min 36 47 94
Average 69.12 92.24 96.54

The numbers in bold seem a little perturbing to my uneducated eye.  

I whacked the new iRange IRX4+  in the back but I am unable to flash it from the radio - receiving messages saying the device is not responding. 

My conclusion is that the RF board (presumably that's the internal MPM board) is goosed.  Anyone have a different theory?

Second question - does anyone know if a new MPM Module for a TX16S MK2 will fit and work in a TX16S MK1?

In the meantime, my beloved TX16S is shelved and I'm using a back up radio for just a few models.....

Thanks in advance.

Mark (aka GrumpyGnome)

The DT has a FlySky IA6B, the Hawk has an FrSky Rx6R, the W4 had a FlySky FlySky IA10.

If I get an ELRS module, presumably I lose the ability to use my Spektrum and Futaba receivers, plus the V761 protocol receiver in my baby FW190............. 

Your Speky, Futaba ect will still work with your internal MPM. Just plug the  ELRS module into the  JR bay. ELRS is a solid system ,and lots of Rx to choose from.

If you think your MPM internal board is faulty,you should be able to swap it out quite easily.

Might just be  a problem with the  MPM antenna?

I have plugged a new irx4 into the 'jr' bay, and it is not responding. I could plug an ELRS into the same bay, using the same pins, but my suspicion is that wouldn't work either....

Yes, swapping that board looks easy - my question was whether or not a board for a MK2 tx, would fit in my MK1 case....

Yes, it could be an antenna problem - all connections look ok. I suspect the board because the irx4 plugs into that but won't work.....

24 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I have plugged a new irx4 into the 'jr' bay, and it is not responding.

The issue might be something else, you can update the IR4 module using an alternative method via a PC/Laptop which has worked for me.

The procedure using the "Flash-Multi"  utility is documented on this page https://www.multirotorguide.com/guide/updating-the-multi-protocol-module-firmware/, scroll down to the section titled "Update external multi protocol module using Flash Multi" and the latest firmware can be obtained from from this page https://downloads.multi-module.org/ using the "MULTI-Module Selection" drop down list.

Earlier today, I plugged the irx4 into a friends Taranis X9D....... worked fine.

I did try flashing the irx4 via Flash-Multi but I never managed to do it - I kept getting messages about lack of a USB Bootloader.  I'll try again tomorrow when I have more time. It'll be user error on my part 🙂