LEG Jart Build

Advert

Darran! - so where were you my man ? Havent sen you up the Orme for ages !
Iawnski, Ultymate, Dangerous Davies and m'self had  great time today - after a grey start, the sky turned brilliant blue and clear, the wind picked up, and all was well in the world again.
Great combat with big  larfs, and some Jartyness , Wasabi, Hawk, and Lancaster action too. Supeeeerb.

• 2 weeks later...
Hint received loud and clear Tim

You may well be back in the air faster than me anyway, as a combination of muppetry/disorientation/speed/cold fingers ensured that the Herefordshire hill came up and bit my Jart. At this rate I'll have more soil samples than Charlie Dimmock. Time to get the Goop and CW tape out again!

Prior to this I had a ball. I love my foamy Jart. It goes so fast, for so long, that it must have some kind of improbability drive installed or something. It just trucks on through the 35mph chunk of air as if it wasn't there. It soared, looped, pylon-turned and blasted past me better and faster than I ever dreamed it would. Utterly brilliant. I want more models with interia like this please. Suggestions welcome!

It was awesome to watch even through a camera viewfinder. Just cut through some big wind like it wasn't there, and then motored on just below the speed of light! Great to watch and Matthew had it dialled. 

Right up until the time he decided to turn it into an airdrill (tm) Couldn't get any real close ups as I didn't have a big lens with me and it was moving it a bit. The loop I saw went on for a while...

I love my WT but.....

I was going to say something about my lack of skill and  not actually landing this beast, but then I remembered that I did indeed set it down to investigate an errant aileron. So I CAN land it!
Note to self - dial in some expo on the ailerons before it flies again - it's currently a case of either no input or two rolls per second!

Ooops - another Jart bites the earth eh Hope the damage is not too severe.
They do go well dont they!  My LT seems to be in the sweet zone at between 20 - 35MPH. It will indeed fly in around 10MPH but frankly its not exactly exciting, and I have others that will do that just as well.
Jart = Speed!
They do hold energy well, and where others are as fast on the downwind pass such as Blades etc, those lose speed as they turn back up stream as it were, whereas as Jarty just keeps on going. Big loops are a delight, and apart from being blown back too close to the ridge eventually, they seem to be almost constantly repeatable.  With yours being around the same weight as mine ( but mine has probably now gained a few ounces from the rebuild and 4 paint layers ) I expect they will be fairly closely matched.
We are going to have to wait a while longer to find out though, as Reed has just let me know thta due to a mix up in comms over at his place, my wings did not get shipped at all !
Sent yesterday, with a few goodies thrown in to compensate for the cock-up.
When will they arrive? Dunno.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 25/03/2009 22:54:03

oooh - a few goodies! I wonder what they could be?

Everything else I fly goes quickly downwind, but it's the way the Jart carries this speed on the turn into wind and beyond that delights me - it really is as if it has an engine up front. It certainly keeps you on your toes, and makes flying it at once difficult, easy and rewarding - if that makes sense! Difficult because of the concentration required, easy due to the fact it just carries on, and rewarding for all of the above. I'm not experienced enough to know if this is a combination of the wing section and mass, or simply the fact that it's a Jart.

How are you doing loops TIm - into wind or across the slope?

I doubt ours are that closely matched Tim - my fuz is like a whale compared to your svelte cross section, and I'm sure my wing section is fatter than yours with all my tape, brown paper and laminating film. Having said that, my wing does seem to be indestructable - the weak point is the foamy fuz, which is now split across the wing section. No matter - with Goop and a fresh dose of CW tape it'll be back. There's almost zero strength in the foam alone - it's the tube of tape and covering that gives it stability.

• 1 month later...
Nice landing in the garden there Matthew
looks like its going to be a biggy on friday - very strong or bouncy models only I feel.
My jart will not be done, and even if it was, I think it may be a tad strong for it - 30MPH sea level - that could be 50+ up top.
Bring a close fitting hat ( preferably of the hard variety )

We have NEVER been stuck sitting in the car all day Matthew - we always manage to fly something somehow, and have a good laugh. It may not be pretty, but will be fun.
What will fly on the day depends on pilot ability and recklessness as well as having the right tools for the job. I dont normally fly anything "valuable" if it starts getting 50+ but thats cause of the second part of the criteria, rather than the first
If room is not an issue ( and it is in my car unfortunately ) then bring allsorts, and see what works when we get there

Well I was out in about 28 with the 'thing and the fusion. Rough as a badgers rear end it was. 50MPH sounds positively scary. I can just see foam things cartwheeling downwind at motorway speeds before breaking into numerous - if small - parts.

Got room for four maybe five models in the mini-truck, have to fit the IC in there as well on the way back.

I might fly my coat, I reckon that'd go well in 50mph