LEG Jart Build

I have the pdf file from Mr Reed and when building my wing for the EPP fuz I compared their cross sections. The EPP section is fatter. You also have a fatter EPP fuz for strength so I assume more drag and a slower plane. The Jart LT I understand has the same wing section as the original concept and should be faster. You may need some way of slowing the thing up on landing.

> >

I have only had the opportunity to fly the EPP Jart in-land in winds up to around 35mph. It can be slowed to walking pace into wind and landing has not been a problem with no nasty tip stall problems.

> >

Being EPP is has lasted very well, I did blunt the nose purposely when building it and this may help as it wont dig in and flip over. And even after hitting the fence that had barbed wire on the top the holes were easily tapped over.

> >

I bow to your superior knowledge on setting up the plane; it never hurts to have the option of spoilerons or flaps. I found them very in effective, good luck on the maiden.

Advert

After 200 posts, it should be

I'm guessing it has a lower survivability rating that a WT if you pitch it in  vertically from 15 metres up? This - by the way - is now patented as the "Leigh Landing Technique"

Probably worth waiting for the right wind then

I was reserving the big smiley - it's a tentative smiley.
Not a good idea to stuff it in from 15 meters up, no. But it should tolerate the occasional miss-judged landing and the infamous 'heather rash' found on the Mynd.
In my mind it will soar away and serenely cruise up and down the slope with a couple of four-point rolls thrown in, but the reality...

Well here we go!
I could have picked a better day for a maiden I suppose, but the itch was becoming unbearable. Two intrepid (stupid?) slope explorers set off Into the teeth of a winter's gale fueled by enthusiam and tea. At least we weren't the only daft 'uns on the Mynd today - we must have spotted a dozen walkers and runners.
Off to the edge of Pole Cottage with Things first - begining to doubt my sanity now - as the hail exfoliated my Sunday beard and I struggled to keep the Thing under my arm. Once off into the grey it was lovely - oodles of lift. Then a clear break blew our way, and it was now or never...
Alex volunteered to launch for me (brave man!), and I gritted my teeth.
And then she's off.
A couple of clicks of aileron trim - and that's it - as smooth as you like, she flew up and away:

It's fair to say that she went like a train. If I didn't know better I would have said that there was a .90 on the front - incredible. Elevator felt a bit soft - this is no combat wing - but it was just a case of feeding it in and letting it pull 'round. It is four pounds of foam and lead after all. Rolls are stunning - about 2 a second and as axial as a windmill - really crisp. I'm starting to enjoy this!

Now I am beginning to do some low, fast flypasts. Up and out first, then turning back and literaly screaming past Alex who is clicking away. Is it the cold or are those hairs on the back of my neck standing on end? Again I ask myself - this model really doesn't have an engine, does it?!!

Now by this point I am getting a bit too cocky. Evidenced by the next pass where I stuff it into the peaty Mynd. Don't be too alarmed - I'm not. The stabiliser was knocked off - clean off in fact - but all else if fine .
Just as I was getting into the groove too. Ah well, I'm cleaning it up right now and opening some Goop. If all goes to plan I might be able to take advantage of the four days of strong westerlies this week.
My interpretation of the maiden? Fabulous - but could have been longer .
My interpreation of the LEG Jart? Plenty quick enough for me right now, and as smooth as silk. I'm really keen to see what winds/sites she likes best - and I'm sure she'll just love the Orme!

It was a thing of beauty to watch. Whereas the WT's just seem to stop into wind, the Jart just trucked on like a very slippy, slippy thing. I was trying to follow it with a big lens, chattering teeth and wobbly fingers. 

Conditions not perfect by any means, so well done to Matthew to going for it, between hail showers and into the teeth of a winters' gale

Well thank you for the pics Al - some corkers in there. I think we've found our limit in terms of winter weather though! (Hazel keeps asking when she can come over to yours to play...)
Yes Tim - it came out at 4lbs 1oz actually! Unfortunately I will not be headed north tomorrow Tim - I want to do a nice job of repairing the stabiliser - no point in rushing it.  The fin is still very firmly attached actually .

I never realised quite how "Benny from Crossroads" that hat is. Thanks Matthew, it's nearly as flattering as the one of me fetching it out of a tree. And what's going on with that Steve Austin "6 Million Dollar Man" run. Probably as I was heading downwind and couldn't stop.

I had a great time. Especially when I could feel my fingers again.

Right I'm off to tape up my thing. All perfectly legal in your own home apparently.

Right now the Jart is sat stinking of Goop as I have stuck the stab back on.
Now, over to XCWeather again!
Many thanks to all those who contibuted advice and words of support during this build - it may have been long-winded but I felt the benefits of taking my time yesterday as she flew past and soared up into another smooth turn. I hope it was of interest and perhaps of help to others who may be tempted by the foamie Jart alternative. I certainly learned a great deal, and feel I accomplished my aim of making a foamie look as finished and slippery as a crunchie as possible on my first attempt.
Cheers everyone - and may your winds be Jarty!