LEG Jart Build

Advert

Well, after hearing that some folk were putting a skin of laminating film on their EPP models, and knowing that my local large-format exhibition printer applies laminates to the graphics I commission, I thought that it would be a simple step to add the whole thing in one go.

And I get to design the look of my Jart - which makes me happy.

Never done it before - no idea how tough it will be or how long it will last - but hey, nothing ventured...

I reckon I should have paid 20 or 30 quid for the prints - I haven't asked as I think I'm getting them for free!

The fuz is going to be Glosstex covered - no way this stuff will wrap around those sexy curves - hence the time spent try to get a close colour match. It won't be perfect, but as close as it needs to be.

Made some more progress this weekend. Quite a marathon this build!

Marking out where everything goes...

It ain't pretty, but it works!

Mating the two halves

I had to glue the fuz to the wing at the same time as joining the two halves...

Lots of double checking and deep breaths...

The patented Lloyd-Method of getting those antennae sorted - temporarily hot glued to a screwdriver!

Phew!

A dose of looking over. Same method of covering the stab with pre-printed graphics, and a silcone hinge for the elevator.

A quick balance shows I am going to need some lead in the nose. The 5 cell battery couldn't go any further forwards without sacrificing foam protection. Weight so far is 45oz. I'm thinking it going to end up in the low 50oz range, giving at least 22oz per sq. foot wing loading.

I had the same layout for the internals as you appart from the 5 cell pack was a hump pack and went a little further forward so I could get the RX in between it and the elevator servo. even than like you I still need to add some nose lead I think is was around 100g so nothing too serious.

Closing the fuz up was a stressful time

Looking good.

Love those graphics.

Yeah - it took a whole cup of tea (and no bun Tim) before I commited Zap-a-dap-a-doh-dah and stuck it all together.

BTW - stood in the kitchen thinking what I could use to mount the charge jack and bind plug into, the solution leaped out to me - a plant label! I whipped it out of the Cyclamen pot and hacked a chunk off - perfect! It's not as if the missus doesn't know what it is anyway...

Is everything in place? Are the servos leads nice and snug? Is everything working? Does the battery get hot when I charge it? Can I re-bind the radio if need be? Does the charging plug work? Can I see the LEDs? Is it all straight? Lots of bottom lip chewing took place before the missus grabbed the masking tape and strapped it all together.

Anyway, it's all done now - all sealed in its EPP tube. I'm taking a breather whilst I figure out if I should be fitting the fin & stab BEFORE I spackle and tape the fuz, or after... either way I'm going to be wrapping those wings up to protect them from the modgy mess to come!

What weight did you end up with Steve?

I fly inland and not on any really big slops, it's been good up to 35mph not had the chance to try anything bigger.

I had this in mind when building it, no brown paper and vinegar used and only one layer of CW tape on the foam wings. It's amassing how heavy that CW tape is.

I have tried it with some lead taped to the underside in high winds but this made littel difference.