LEG Jart Build

Glad we got that cleared up!

Now, where's my shopping list? Ah yes. I've already got Gorilla glue, glue gun and spackle, all I need is a new radio and

3 x HS 85MG servos

1 x 2000mha 6V Rx batt

2 x servo covers

1 x 50 and 1 x 100mm roll of CW tape

1 x charge switch/jack

Glosstex

...and we're away!

One thing that really bugging me - and have yet to see fully how other LEG machines work out - is balancing the thing. Once it's all together there's no opportunity to get in there and add any weight. Unless I just dig in somewhere then tape over afterwards...

Just have to suck it and see I guess

Im sure there will be those who disagree, but I would suggest that - like many things - not all CW tape is created equal. I have found that the cheaper variants do not last as well as the more expensive ones, and I can say that the stuff that Alan head supplies for instance, is excellent if indeed a little more pricey. Be sure to very lightly sand off the release agent first, before applying finish ( I guess you knew about that )

PS " Unless I just dig in somewhere then tape over afterwards.."

Sounds like a plan to me. Surely a small slit to insert any required flattened church roof could be easily disguised. Of course, it may well be that if you fit it out as desigend it will be good to go anyway.

Don't I get some blame for starting the original JART enquiry thread ? Instead of tape,have you thought of using the vynyl that sign writers use ? My man ,who makes my model logos tells me it will stretch over and round curves with a little low heat - Im going to try it on a"Combat Wings "slope wing -I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Andy Ellison wrote (see)

Some very useful info inthe jartworld forums regarding the processes you are about to commence. Perhaps a read first might be good time invested.

BTW - Everybody HAS seen the forecast for Sunday over the rock haven't they?

OH yes..... bring on the wind - would be nice bonus if it just shifted slightly westerly too

I take it you are coming again then Mr E ?

I suspect it might make a short trip back across the car park!

You're gonna need a wing loading of around 30oz per square foot to properly play out in those winds and fly where you want too..

Assuming you can get it to the edge without snapping in two of course!

Stock foamie jart might come in at around 17oz per square foot.

Fit a ballast tube!

Seriously? From what I have read a ballast tube would be a bad idea.

I'd be happy with a wing loading that allowed me to play in less blow - my thinking is that this will give me more chance of flying it at a wider range of sites, in less epic conditions.

Mind you, every holiday we take in Cardigan seems to bring epic wind - and that's in August!

I will certainly be taking it with me this year. At this rate I won't have room in the car for me bucket and spade.

OK - spent good hour on the 'phone to Stan at PMP (he likes a chat, doesn't he!) - and ordered all me bits.

Andy E - Stan says hello and thanks you for the recommendation.

Everybody take note - Stan now has NO MORE models left!

Does this mean we now have to import all our foamies?

The build will soon be underway...

4 cells, on Spektrum, in the cold, and in a high performance model - not the best choice IMO

Do-able for sure, but make sure they can deliver their stuff - just because they are "high capacity" does NOT mean they will be able to deliver ...and Spekky receivers are known for their low voltage  / brown out vulnerabilties.

Surely you could have snuck one more cell in there ? - perhaps by making up a pack with a 3+2 layout??

Well as always, ask 100 different people the same thing, and get 100 different answers.

Not wishing to decry in any way Stans advice - I would just wonder how much experience and knowledge he has of Spektrum gear ? I have a LOT - this is the key factor here.

As I said.... 4 cell will probably work, but I just like to play safe with nice and somewhat pricey toys, and for the sake of squeezing in one more cell...well, as the yanks say - go figure