LEG Jart Build

Hi Matt
My trick to get the wing in with the servo horn projecting out was to cut a V in the fuz see the first pic posted above. This allowed me to push the wing in all tapped up.

To hold it in place you can't beat Zap-A-Dap-A-Goo

The battery pack was a 5 cell AA  at 6v

One other point I think I over did the spec on the servo. The EPP Jart it's not ballistic and the S3102 are good but probably over the top. Just use a good quality metal gear servo for the ailerons like a Hitec HS-82MG I think these are the same size and quite a bit cheaper.

Like the paint scheme

Advert

Cheers for the tip Steve - much appreciated.

I'd already spec'd Hitec 85MG's all round, and Timbo pointed me towards a 6V supply (I have a 2000mA Nimh pack). I'm testing some Zap-A-Dap-A-Goo right now on some scrap - I'm wondering wether to experiment in using it to hinge the ailerons. How did you do yours?

Glad you like the proposed look (there's plenty of time for it to change!) - but there's no paint involved!

Well, Zap a dap a do dah is no good for hinges, but it sure sticks (and stinks)!

Nobody is getting notifications John - it's not just you.

Tim - stop showing off with your RTF Jart

I'll post some more pics in a bit - not very exciting, but progress all the same. I'm off to buy some brown paper!

Seriously folks - any tips for aileron hinges?

Grizz said.....

"Hey Mr moderator,I'm not getting notification of replies to this thread !.Can you keep me posted please."

Sorry Grizz - but you aint the only one ! We are experiencing tech diifculties at the moment but normal service WILL be resumed ASAP - please bear with us. TY
Meanwhile, just check "latest posts" from forum main page ?

Hey Matthew,I'm probably going down the same construction road as you.I got some super quality high density EPP from Rob Swynnerton at Flying wings.He cut it to 35mm thick x deep enough and long enough to cut and shape fuselage sides(2 off) so that I can do all the interior work then stick them together and finish with glass and epoxy - then epoxy paint.Will get the wings from our friend Barry Johnson @ Foamwings.co.uk.
I nearly had a heart attack when I priced out the carboncloth etc. I've already got loads of glass cloth and epoxy in my store from glassing a 1/4 scale Sukhoi so hope to save the pennies a bit.I've got the fues cut out in bue foam at the moment but still feel the EPP option will suit better.SO I'm interestesin your photo progress report.Carry on with the good work.

Matthew,

Can recommend Sellotape Diamond for aileron hinging (also elevator).

It's very thin and sticks well, yet will peel off (gently) if needed.

Stick it on the top first leaving a 1mm gap between wing and aileron, turn the aileron back onto the top surface of the wing then stick a second length to the underside - sorted!

ps use it full length of the aileron.

Cheers Peter - I'm going to go for silicone hinges - if this fails (which I doubt it will) then I can try some of the diamond tape I have.

Tonight I covered the wing with CW tape (4 inch wide) and then brown kraft paper with diluted PVA. I also shaped the fin, stabiliser and elevator, and covered the ailerons with CW and paper/pva - the result is pretty rigid - should be even better in the morning when it's all dry. Will be covering with Glosstex next (I intend to have the wing fully complete -bar ailerons - before sticking in the fuse), but tomorrow's forecast looks OK to fly at Pole Cott - so that wil have to wait!

I have been disapointed with the results of a print test of my proposed scheme, so may just Glosstex the wings afterall.  The colour is just not strong enough, but I haven't given up yet. I do now have a full size poster of a Jart though!

The fuse beckons!

Hey - I'm new to all this so don't take the mickey. I really like the idea of the clean finish of a silcone hinge so that's my way for now - besides, I braved the local pet shop to get some (long story).
D'you know - whilst fiddling with CW tape and brown paper - I started to think life would have been much easier with a mouldie? I'm sure this will wash off after the maiden, but it does feel like a lot of work to get a decent EPP model up - the Wildthing was SO easy by comparison...

Spent the afternoon flying today  with Mike Evans and Russ (didn't catch his surname) - excellent weather. As we stooged around the talk turned to things Jarty, and in partic. the failings - yes - failings in the production of the LT. It transpires that the fuse is rather thin in places, and the gel coat is prone to flaking off. Mike even had a replacement that fell in half! I'm sure that this is a rare occurance, but this does highlight how difficult it must be for Reed to manage production at arm's length.

Any road, Mike was encouraging me to apply at least a couple of layers of CW tape to my wings, "build it heavy" was his advice. I'm happy to do this - does anyone else agree?

Depends what you wanted to fly it like. Heavy sounds OK to me.

Reed is addressing the issues with the LT and weighing up his options. Of course he never commissioned this guy in the first place and the Gelcoat bond has been an issue from day one. Seems there are good and bad fuses. But they are what they are.

Jack and Jill went up the hill... ... with PVA and Brown paper!
First layer

The beauty of this layer is that you can sand it back and remove any niggly bits - it's tuff stuff!

Shaping the tail feathers

When's tea ready, Mum?

First Layer of CW tape. I used an iron to tighten it up in places and generally seal any edges/joins.

I now have two layers of CW tape (running at 45 degrees) and one more kraft paper layer over these to hold it all together. I will rub this last layer down and see how it all looks, before I can add the Glosstex final covering. That should be enough!