4_stroke Crankcase Breather

Does it matter if you put a piece of fuel tube over the crankcase breather of a 4-stoke motor?

I want to route the pipe to outside the cowl so it doesn't spray oil mist around the inside of said cowl but something makes me think that maybe I shouldn't....

The pipe would need to be about 6" long & the motor is mounted inverted...

Any advise??

Advert

Steve, that should work fine. Most folks use some tubing on the breather to help duct the oil. I use 4-8 inch tube on my 4 strokers, and no problems. However, make it as short as possible, and follow the manufacturer recommendations when provided. Some of the newer engines feed the breather to the carb, thus reducing the oil residue.

Steve
If you are just going to add a length of fuel tubing to the breather nipple then 2" would be the maximum that will work before you start to get potential running problems. The reason being that any greater length will cause too much back pressure. If you need to extenfd further then feed a short length (less than 1" ) of pipe from the nipple into a tube of at least 1/4" (5mm) diameter and you should then have no problems.
Chris

I have an RCV 91 CD installed in a World Models Mustang 60. The crankcase breather issue was a concern to me as I did not want to have the excess oil on the plane. Whilst running the engine in I connected a long (like 1.3m) length of fuel tube and had it "dangling in the breeze". When this worked fine and deposited the oil aft of the tail, I then routed the fuel tube in the fuselage and exited near the tailwheel. I know the instructions said a maximum of 6", but the system works fine and despite very high ambient temperatures as we approach summer, the engine has never missed a beat. By high temperatures I mean 39° and that is by 10:00 in the morning !! It does get a lot hotter in full summer !! By the way I live, work and fly in Dubai. I can supply photos if you are interested.

I think the issue is one of pressure equalisation....obviously as the motor runs the crankcase volume will change as the piston moves up & down....the breather is to allow air to rush in & out as needed....obviously as the air rushes out it will take some oil mist with it & potentially block the tube. That said the pumping force will be quite significant compared to a small plug of oil so like Bladerunner sez it shouldn't cause any problems....

Thanks
Doesn't it make you wonder who is the expert that stipulates what you can & can't do with their engines (the manufacturers /designers etc ) when all along it does't seem to really matter .Who really knows what it's like to be in a crankcase What an ever( fast ) changing environment eh ?

PS Ijust remembered I did go into a crankcase years ago changing bits on an oil rig engine I think it was called a SNACME if my memory serves me correctly More useless information he said .Do you thin k a "nostalgia " topic/thread or whatever would be of popular appeal on this great website I really enjoy remi-remmin remni Goig back ie going back ?

Would that be an aluminium cylinder head??? Luxury.....when I wor a lad we was glad to even get to SEE a cast iron cylinder head......

oh dear this thread seems to have degenerated into a Monty Python sketch!!!

I do remember seeing a picture of a marine diesel being decoked.....three blokes with scrapers & brooms stood on top of one of the pistons!!! Now thats big!!!

Before I remember I was talking about having a breather (I'd nearly forgotten )
We never 'ad brooms We had to lick off carbon w'it toung Aye .As for scrapers I won't (daren't) tell you what I had to use but it's a good job no-one was looking through the inlet or exhaust ports.
You must be a lot younger than me 'cos i remember cast iron well.It was the only thing I couldn't solder together aye them wer't days Long before breathers were invented We used to----Hang on I'm definately going off the subject & someone will complain ?
By the way cast iron is still difficult to stick back together(getting back to engineering)Or is there a new DEVRON product on the market Do you remember the name We used it on cylinder walls to fill cracks & IT WORKED Yes I remember my spells in the odd crankcase /head Them we're t' days Eh!

You've never lived ! You had an eye !? We had no equipment like a glass eye to help us . We had to use t' lid to polish up t' piston tops & eyebrows to get a really good shine on t' crown .It never blinkin' worked I don't think -but then again we worked in the dark confines of t'moving parts of t' engine where no-one checked our wirk Weworked 24 hour shifts 8 days a week if i remember correctly .My co worker once had a day off 'cos his 'er indoors said he had a serious headache & to prove it she had to produce his death certificate .You tell young people that .They wouldn't believe it .We need more breathers (going back to the thread )and should only do jobs in engines for a maximum of 7 days a week.

Only 7 days in a week....you reeely were lucky.
We 'ad 7 years in our week,and no ruddy eyebrows.Comical it were...Comical I tell thee.
Would have paid(if we 'ad any dabs)to decore wiv bare 'ands....lugsherry,pure bliss...'ad t'use scrotum in my day..if ye could find one.