1/4 Scale Tiger Moth build, a work very much in progress

Been building my 1/4 scale tiger for many years now but having retired since Covid, I have made huge progress. The model is ex Traplet and has been a good head scratcher trying to fathom out how best to replicate things to look and work like the real thing.

The object of this post is, it’s often better to build things the way they are on the actual aircraft, things often turn out looking better and working as per design. 
So let’s start with the upper wings on my model, with Handley Page Slats.AC3529CF-A6D0-4D68-8373-3E4BFAAACEFA.jpeg.6bde50fe5e1d69e71b6a7a871b80e542.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s taken three attempts to make these slats and the general issue was that the first two attempts failed due to binding issues. I made everything out of fibreglass board, over engineered and when fitted to the wing, simply failed when all three were joined up. I was simply going to follow PeterF example, and glue the aluminium slats in place but a chance meeting and chat with the owner of the aircraft I am modelling resolved the issue. His comment was that the slats HAVE TO BE LOCKED during taxiing and just after landing, due to their slop. Apparently they rattle terribly and clearly wear too during this process. So, I took loads of photos and had some sent from the owner, and embarked on making the hinge mechanism out of brass sheet, bent to shape and with plenty of play. 
Result, they work!

The slat brackets were a little more challenging but making a jig, bolting the bits to the jig and with applying both heat and hammer, the brackets eventually took shape. Challenge, making all 6 generally the same with holes oversized to allow for alinement and to prevent that dreaded binding issue. 

20240126_192716.jpeg

The video shows the inspection covers on the upper surfaces. On this aircraft, they are not all fitted as per the directive, some have never been opened, some have been opened but recovered as they are not frequently opened for inspection and some are covered with domed aluminium covers which can be removed easily.

20240403_183646.thumb.jpeg.29e5e270bd79e160dfda6cfea13df77b.jpeg20240402_105946.thumb.jpeg.7b6d7ccddc7e599a40c89e10c378750a.jpeg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Richard Thornton 2 said:

Fully fitted prior to covering, coke can for scale comparison only!

20240328_085421.jpeg

The issue with this setup was that both servos are handed, so I had to trawl the internet to resolve the issue. Turns out simply reversing the polarity on the pot and swapping the signal and power wires resolved the issue. 
i wanted to do this to ensure that each servo worked in princely the same way but clearly a mirror image of each other.

Funny, building a specific Moth means there are often subtle differences that are only visible to us that really care and notice the ‘devil in the detail’

Example, take the filter intake on the cowl. 
This version is fitted to Australian and Southern African examples.

IMG_0839.jpeg

Been asked how I made the socks and why? I will respond to the former and leave the latter .... I used some thin aluminium sheet, 0.6mm aircraft grade, but it was an off cut. Made some templates up in Autocad, which apparently look like fox heads.

Cutting out the templates was a faff but bending them into shape was easier than expected. The joint was placed alternately fwd and aft, dependant on the location of the sock. Fwd on the lower strut, aft on the upper strut. Pictured is an empty sock.

IMG_0852.jpeg

IMG_0853.jpeg

IMG_0854.jpeg

• Like 1