Mini Table Saw ???

I am with Ron. I have the KS230 (since the year dot) and more recently FET.  I have many other Proxxon tools so I am a fan.  The move towards building model boats justified the FET with the much higher capacity, carbide tipped saw and bevel capabilities.  I cut my own planks from  Mahogany, teak and other hard woods and that makes it work hard. Used also for household stuff.  The drill and the disk sander are great.  I wouldn't be without them.

Levanter

Advert

Just a reminder to anyone who is thinking of buying a band saw or a rotary table saw : BEWARE they dont take prisoners and can bite. They also continue to rotate for a while when switched off. 

Think safety as blood stains the Balsa 😉. Seriously though please take  care as even a flourescent light can make the blade apper stationary.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ace said:

+1 for a bandsaw with a tilting table as ED.

Changed my blade for a 1/4 x 14/16 tpi  (std 6-8 tpi !) which I find leaves a clean cut without leaving a fuzz on balsa. Still cuts birch ply quickly. When cutting strip I attach a 1m length of straight planned wood to the fence so feed is absolutely straight as is the follow through. For triangle stock you need to start with an oblong which allows for the blade width which is near as dam it 1/16th. Even cuts trailing edge which I also use as wing rib packers when building which is great for building in washout when placed at an angle. As there is no gauge on the fence I have a selection of accurate Beech lengths that I use to space the blade/fence, this ensures consistency. A quick check in a piece of scrap - adjust as required and away you go. 

Chinese for £60 - can't compete. Entry Proxxon - bandsaw out performs for me. Fancy Proxxon at £400 ish (£300 form Germany + import now?) - definitely a bandsaw. Not mine but something like this. That all said if space is at a premium you can't really hump/store a bandsaw under the bench.

That attached saw is very similar to my table top Band saw. Different brands are just a different colour but most likely from same factory in China. 

The only things ive had to replace in the 10+ years apart from consumables is a tyre on the top wheel as they can perish . I wouldnt hesitate to buy another .

36 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

I must admit that I paid closer to £300 for mine and from memory it came from Germany.

Was that a few years ago before the hyper inflation and when we were still in the EU.

Best I have seen is £420, but also seen Microlux/Micromart model that looks very similar for £325.

Moot though as both out of my league for the use I would get out of it.

1 hour ago, Ace said:

+1 for a bandsaw with a tilting table as ED.

Changed my blade for a 1/4 x 14/16 tpi  (std 6-8 tpi !) which I find leaves a clean cut without leaving a fuzz on balsa. Still cuts birch ply quickly. When cutting strip I attach a 1m length of straight planned wood to the fence so feed is absolutely straight as is the follow through. For triangle stock you need to start with an oblong which allows for the blade width which is near as dam it 1/16th. Even cuts trailing edge which I also use as wing rib packers when building which is great for building in washout when placed at an angle. As there is no gauge on the fence I have a selection of accurate Beech lengths that I use to space the blade/fence, this ensures consistency. A quick check in a piece of scrap - adjust as required and away you go. 

Chinese for £60 - can't compete. Entry Proxxon - bandsaw out performs for me. Fancy Proxxon at £400 ish (£300 form Germany + import now?) - definitely a bandsaw. Not mine but something like this. That all said if space is at a premium you can't really hump/store a bandsaw under the bench.

How big/heavy is that bandsaw.  I don't have a permanent workshop so what attracted me by the mini table saw was being able to store it away in a draw or cupboard when I don't need it and that it does need much table space on the rare occasions when I would need to use it.

Mine Band saw is about 30 in tall and from memory weighs about 15Kg ish . Not too heavy to lift about. I have taken mine into the garden to cut longer pieces than my workspace allows . Forgot to say that it also has a facility to connect a vacuum to stop saw dust going everywhere although you will have to make up some sort of adapter as it too big for normal vac cleaners

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

How big/heavy is that bandsaw.

Mine is also the same size/weight as ED's. Looks identical to the silverline so probably made in the same factory, purchased 15yrs ago for £69.95 and would buy another tomorrow if it packed up. It is a bit of a lump to move around. Mine along with the disc/belt sander are linked to the vacuum using waste pipe.  

• Like 1