Belt CP

Kappie

Hi all out there. Compliments of the season to all.

I got a Belt CP as a gift and started it up yesterday after the LHS owner quickly changed it from M1 to M2 for me.

Problem is: It does not start up smoothly, but from one click on the throttle to the next--it starts up with a violent jerk and then settles nicely. I do connect the battery after the TX is switched on and both throttle stick and trim is in bottom dead centre. How do I smooth out the throttle/spin up?

Thanks for help.

Advert

Hi Kappie  Compliments too

Hmmm  not to sure!  I have a T-Rex 450 which starts with a jolt and the tail skips to the left -then settles down as above. However I have a Mini Titan that starts smoothly. The Mini pred also does the same as yours.

Perhaps its just down to the type of motor and ESC.  It might be the case - you just have to live with it ! Some ESC's have braking settings which should be OFF for heli's.

Al

If its the Blade CP then I also noticed a pretty vicious kick upon start up on one that a friend brought round for me to repair....NOT a raw beginners machine IMO ( not that I am a heli man )

I sent him off to practice on some contra rotating helis first, and leave the rather vicious and large CP one on the shelf a bit longer

He subsequently bought a MCX blade and loves it - probably all he will ever use TBH - he just wanted a toy, and was mis-sold the Blade CP by an unscrupulous dealer.

Kappie,

I have a couple of belt cp's and have different mod's on both.

As regards the vicious start up ,it is a common thing on esky transmitters for this problem,they are very basic.

The best thing to do really is replace the stock transmitter for a computer one.

Not only will this cure the problem, but a computer tranny will help you to fly the heli a lot better a lot quicker,obviously allowing you to adjust the transmitter to your comfort needs.

A lot of us on another forum suggests to all newcomers who feel they have to upgrade to fly better ,will  say to change the transmitter first ,followed closely by the servo's and so on.

if you cant afford to change the transmitter, the next best thing is to change the speed controller ,the esky speed controllers  are not very good at all,they are rated at 25 amps which is very close to the ampage used to fly ,it is a common thing for these controllers to fail in a spectacular way allowing the magic smoke to escapeand therefore killing the controller .the Sonix 30 amp speed controllers are a cheap good controller and is easy to use a program.

vince

Thanks very much guys.

Alan B: You have it spot on--as confirmed by Vinnie.

Timbo: I will most definately leave that one for later, but just a toy---No way, I am in for the long haul.

Vinnie: Thanks man, have been wanting to get myself the Spekky DXi 6, but wanted someone to confirm that I really need it!!---if you know what I mean.

Cheers guys.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Kappie

THe Esky speed controlers are very basic, and do not have soft start on them, if you look around the net you will find that some speed controlers have this feacher as standard, and some have to be linked to USB and a computer to program them, so be cairfull to read up the speck befour you bie them, as I think even if you change the Tx it will still start with a jolt, if you do not replace the speed controler, also do make sure it has BEC on it as some do not.

happy hunting Owen. 

hi kappie

dont use the ESKY esc it just cant handle it and have been known to catch on fire and have fired mine up for the first day today i know seriously do yourself a favour and buy a replacement i highly recomend hobby wing esc from giant cod ( NO affliation)  cheap easy to use and GOOD quality. i strongly recomend a 40A esc for this hel a 30A would probably be ok but a 40A would be better or even a 50A as i like to run esc's at half there stated current handling and for just a few quid more it worth it. Well thats my two pence

Happy Hovering,
P s keep updating your progress

• 1 month later...
hi guys if your still watching this post'
I have a belt for 6 months now -fatuba 6x tx - and just put a ubec in the system for the esc and no real problems, but yes they are bad, servos, tried sg90 and found they tend to stip just as easy when you are learning, BUT they are cheaper to replace, keep the old ones and salvage the gears out of them.
the esky ones seem to glitch on 35mhz but are ok on 2.4ghz..
regards
don

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,
Can anyone who has a belt cp V2 help me please.
Can you please look in your manual in the parts section and tell me the size of the fly bar in thickness and length please.
I want to  know if they are the same as the belt cp so i can use the paddles,
thanks in advance .

vince

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi
A bit late now, but have you checked the tail drive belt is not too tight?.
This will cause the start up prob you describe.
Ditch the Esky TX & get a computer radio (I am using a 2nd hand Futaba 7C).
The pots on the Esky tx are crap & can fail at any time (lost tail control mid flight due to this).
I have 2 belt cp`s (V1), a HKH450 & an Esmart 600 (that does have a visious tail kick unless you feather the throttle & a very tight drive belt).

Good luck, it ain`t easy!, but rewarding when you get it right.