Its a what?

Phil Winks

Advert

Think your right ben definately not a flying wing and if your refering to the earlier post Jim it was an armstrong whitworth abermarle some one got that already

edit actually Ben your dead right the albacore was a torpeodo carrying bipe it was on page 5 of this thread by Gemma lol

Well done Simon although they're not flaperons it had proper flaps fowlers I think in the centre of the wing and elevons outboard incidental the rudders on the stabilisers worked differentially more movement on the side the plane was turning toward so more outboard movement than inboard this aircraft was the result of extensive research into laminar flow wings but was shelved due to them not getting the top speeds they expected also it had the dubious honour of being the 1st aircraft that a pilot ejected from in a real emergency it suffered high speed oscillations while in a dive that threatened structural integrity prob due to elevon flutter luckily only the pilot was on board at the time as the co pilots seat wasn't fitted with an ejection facility. the seat used was a martin baker design

Hi Phil

this looks a little bit like a Hawker Harrier - although the wingtips look wrong - so I'm a bit hesitant on the ID.

The nine-cylinder radial narrows it down to a Bristol engine, Dragonfly, or Alvis Leonides - this last was trialled in a Bristol Bulldog - which this definitely isn't.

It's fun this!

AlistairT

Hi Phil

this looks a little bit like a Hawker Harrier - although the wingtips look wrong - so I'm a bit hesitant on the ID.

The nine-cylinder radial narrows it down to a Bristol engine, Dragonfly, or Alvis Leonides - this last was trialled in a Bristol Bulldog - which this definitely isn't.

It's fun this!

AlistairT

Hi alastair not a hawker or bristol although it may be a bristol engine. although this aircraft was in service in 1926 details/history is difficult to locate however I do know that the japanese navy did buy the designs albeit slightly modified the manufacturers were prolific in designing naval aircraft at the time and later produced an iconic transport aircraft that saw long service albeit in limited numbers

Hi Alistar its not a hawker or a bristol although it may be a bristol engine. even though this aircraft saw some service from 1926 ish with the navy its history is not that well documented for some reason. I do know that the designs for a version of this were sold to the japanese navy. The manufacturers where at the time fairly prolific in designing naval aircraft and later went on to produce an iconic transport that saw lengthy service albeit in limited numbers with the RAF amongst other air forces

AlistairT
A 9 cylinder radial and you didn't mention the most famous of them all - the Jupiter - which did indeed power the BT1 Beagle and at least 262 other types of aircraft! The Beagle used a geared version (VIIIF) which allowed that rather streamlined nose profile.

I shall have to see if my spade can dig as deep as Phil's!

This is a toughie - but the dates and motors are helpful.

Not many countries were capable of designing/building twin-engined fighter-bombers or could afford to buy motors (or were allowed to buy motors) off the USA in 1946.

China? nope
Russia? nope

Europe was in hock to the USA, or desolate...

Would the USA build one? They were working on jets.

So that narrows it down a bit - and indeed, it's an argentinean-made I.Ae. 24 Calquin

Ali T