Pick -a- 'plane discussions

Tim Mackey

Advert

Yes Barry, I am refering to the Lysander.
S'funny, I re-read Tony's Hurricane Article in last years special.  Apparently the Lysander was a top pick last year too... And since this particular vote was announced, I seem to see scratch built Lysanders everywhere...

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh C, yes it was a close 2nd, and so was the other one W/Wind, and yes there are a lot Lyanders up and coming, maybe it's the mystery, cloak and dagger stuff, french resistance, all that stuff, why modelers have a liking for this aircraft.
Me, Yep great aircraft.
Tony R, yes it is good to see that some else thinks outside the square, big model, looks good, any idea how it flew???    Thanks,  Barry

Maybe Barry,
                      but it also gets to be boring and rather annoying to many people a bit like bible thumpers knocking on your door all the time.
After running model shipbuilding lists at Yahoo for some years one thing I did notice is that anyone who banged on about the same vessel or type of boat etc continually soon found themselves being ignored, instead of promoting interest in the specific vessel it had the opposite effect in that people were sick of hearing about it and took a dislike to it as a result.
Personally I have heard and seen so much about Spitfires, Hurricanes and Lancasters I wouldnt build one because there are far more interesting models to build, the only Supermarine I would build at sometime in the future is either a Spit F22 or a Spiteful.
Building models of aircraft like the FW42 is always worthwhile as it gives us model makers the chance to do something that the original designer didnt manage in all probability, we actually get it to fly (or not as the case may be) which is great fun even if it turns out to be a brick working  with what is basically an unknown quantity ,

regards,      Terry

Edited By Terence Lynock on 19/05/2009 15:19:02

I don't know about that Terry...
The spitfires are a thing of beauty (apart from the tropical variants which frankly, I can take or leave), and the Hurricanes have something about them... A pugnatious quality, I guess.  And to be honest, it was the Hurricane on the cover of the Autumn special that prompted me to pick up a copy of RCM&E for the very first time.
But it's like comparing a Thoroughbred with a Clydesdale ( I actually sold my Thoroughbred in order to buy a young Clydesdale)...
Yes, there are plenty of interesting subjects out there.  The Supermarine drawing boards put out some wonderful stuff between the wars... Sea Mews, Stranrayers, Sea Lions, Etc... 
The subject that Tony ultimately decides to do for the Autumn special is goverened by a number of factors.
-He does it for fun rather than profit.  It isn't his day job, so if the subject doesn't instil at least a modicum of passion in him, then he aint gunna enjoy it.
-They wanna sell issues, so they choose a subject that is at the very least popular.

Surely, each monthly issue has a different subject as it's free plan, and some of them are way way out there.

But this damned argument has been going around in circles for perhaps the last twenty pages.  We all have subjects that are close to our hearts... and in some cases, we are just going to have to get off of our buts and design the models our selves.

Cheers,

Hugh

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 21/05/2009 23:37:03

Decided to design my own and managed to get the fuselage for the Arado 240 done then had to strip out my board and pack it all away before I could get to the wings, nacelles and finer points, I will get back to it as soon as I have a new workroom and somewhere for an A0 draughtsmans board.
The supermarine aircraft that interest me most is probably a couple people have never heard of, the 327 twin engined heavy fighter and the late war project the 391, the 327 was something akin to a twin engined Spitfire, the 391 was designed for the Rolls Royce Eagle engine at 3,350 h.p and contra-prop with laminar flow wing, top speed around 500 m.p.h,
I would have thought it worthwhile to pursue the 391 as it was faster than most early jet engined aircraft, with a turbo-prop engine it would have been quite an effective combat aircraft,

regards,         Terry

Have to agree with hugh. Around and around and around. try suggesting something. spitfire. suggest something else .whirlwind. suggest a topic to get people talking, get told not to bother... hurricane. get onto something different fw42 get good ideas,new thread. good ideas on new thread turns to chit chat.  You can list the same people over and over knocking on about the same planes .then they chit chat and go off topic ,threads stall..
Look guys, no offence meant but its hard to keep track of threads when you go off topic .People get lost and the threads go around and around , Im sure most people only read two post above then make a comment.
to stay on track here I like the plane theme idea. then again this thread is done.
Purhaps if you want chit chat youn can pm the person .
Thanks
Kiwi G

pollyfilla.. agreed ... yip has gone to open chitchat...A BIT LIKE ALOT OF THE OTHER THREADS HAVE...  from a moderators point of view ,shouldnt you be doing that in the chit chat section. If a newbie was to look at this original thread he may have some suggestions that could be used next time. , if there is a next time. or maybe because its at the top of the forum page, its the first one the newbie opens and would like to make a comment on. Then again buy the time he gets here he is probably giving up on model aircraft and turning to hot rods....

Look at it this way, someone organises a big party and everybody turns up and has a good time, all the congas get danced and all the stories told, booze drunk and casualties taken off to hospital.
Then at the end of the night when all the family men have gone home to the missus there is always a group with nowhere to go but sit down with another beer and chat about life in general or whatever subject takes their fancy and thats exacly what has happened here, like discussing the end game after a chess tourny some of us never know when to go home,

regards,     Terry

i know about that poly, infact i believe i was one of the first to discuss!!!

On the 'Switch On' section it describes that the pick a plane for 09 is a Lizzie and it says that on the forum there will be updates on the progress of the protoype, i would assume it must be pretty far constructed by now if it is gonna be an autumn special no rush though! it will probably take me a while to build it anyway!

Ok...time to bring you back on track......I just finished the Racing Duo for next month free plans (cracking little models) last week so I cleared the work bench Thursday and spent a around 8-hours getting to the first picture stage...... As a design, this model has been a nightmare.....but the build has gone very well and very quickly.....all those stringers! and they all lined up!...what a result. The back end  is now finished so hope to start on the wings tomorrow.