Pick -a- 'plane discussions

Tim Mackey

Advert

Just re-reading the posts here, I chuckled at Graeme's idea of 'plan collectors' until I realised that probably am one! I have been reading the mag since 1970, grew up with the orange free plans from Aeromodeller, still have every magazine I have every bought, with plans, and most of them are catalogued on an Access database. 

Although the last time I built a model from an RCM&E free plan was in 1972, when I built the Slingsby T-53 from the December edition, the subject of the free plans and the quality of drawing, printing, and paper used for them are still the most important factors when making my decision of which magazine to buy. I used to subscribe to RC Model World as well, but stopped primarily because the plans were of poor quality.

I too am a collector . My first rc plane was a plan built orange box glider. orange plan too.
My friend and I had a great time trying to keep it aloft on a slope I wouldnt even consider now except with my alula sal glider.
The idea of a scale heli body comes from my augusta body I just bought ,.NZ $599
Im sure we can do better than that..
Still give me a F86 sabre, beaufighter,spitfire, wellington , heli, or glider , anything and I will consider it as im a modeller who enjoys aircraft, not only mine but other peoples as well. including free flight , rc controline wot ever...
Thanks kiwi Graeme

Johathan

I think Graeme is tweaking our tails, just to see the reaction.

It could be that he is making a point, that the model does not have to be scale. Most of us have made that assumption, that it is scale. I guess on the basis, you have to select something, how can you select a F?? aerobatic model, or a Pylon racer other than as a genric type.

I think many of us have many reservations regarding the Lysander, from a build, operability perspective. However most like its quirkiness.

In my opinion, most scale models have some practicality issues. However there are some which are far easier than others. Present day aerobatic aircraft, seem to be both functional from the build and performance viewpoint. Most of the Martin Baker aircraft seem to be designed from a ease of construction view point, as is Brittan Norman Islander, Miles M20. So there are a number of relative easy builds as prospective models.  

Hi Barry,
I am just near the Bunyip State Park.  The fire is encroaching on us gradualy.
Just imagine, before saturday we had the daft idea that if we were prepared enough we would be able to fight is when it comes.
We have now decided that when it comes, we will just start the sprinklers and run like stink.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Guys.... we are all getting the news very much so ! Rather than let this thread wander way off topic, I am starting a new one in "chit chat" dedicated to the situation , as we have a few Oz members, and am sure we are all concerned for you guys.
Best of luck  
PS I will copy the two posts above over to the new thread.

Linking the two ideas (forest fires and plans), how about one of the colourful planes used to drop water & fire retardant chemicals onto the fires? I reckon they would make interesting models, especially if they are able to drop water. Round here they use Mi8 helis & cropdusting planes to do the job, but I'm sure there are more interesting things used in the States and, I presume, Australia as well.

We have two Martin mars here on Vancouver island,  I posted some pics of an electric model ( somewhere on this site ) built by a fellow club member that may appeal to some as a free plan, are you willing Tony???? would make a great follow up to your Sunderland.

I am suprised the fullsize are not on their way to oz ,mind you the fires could be out by the time they get there they really do lumber along, don't move much faster than treacle at the north pole.

I think that is an Antanov, that you are thinking of.

The Stormovik, I believe is a rather ugly two seater, ground attack aircraft. I am not sure i like it. Apparently a very effective aircraft though, when provided with good to cover.

Give me a Typhoon every time.

I prefer to think of the Stormovik as having character rather ugliness though I'm not sure I could get with building a Soviet aircraft in Finland! The Antonov referred to is the AN-2, I assume, a very large biplane with flaps and a huge radial engine, sounds like an accident in a a goods yard when running, but the plane takes off in far less distance than you'd ever believe. Ought to make a good model, I reckon. There is one parked up at a local service station/24 hour supermarket on the edge of Utti airfield, every time I drive past it I remember to put it on the mental list of models to build. Trouble with mental lists is that I keep forgetting what's on them!

The sturmovik isn't ugly. Sure, not as nice as the typhoon, but the typhoon didn't have thick armour plating to protect the pilot from cannon fire and flak. It was very effective in combat and as one of the most produced aircraft ever, there is no doubt that it deserves to be modelled by Mr Nijhuis.

On the contrary, the AN-2 is awful. It is everything i wouldn't look for in a subject.