Irvine 40 Tutor

Mark Radford

Hi all
         This is my first post so go easy on me lol .I plucked up enough courage to go to my local club last saturday and after alot of advice from some very helpfull flyers i was told to buy the Irvine 40 Tutor two new guys were learning to fly with these whilst i was there so i guess that is the favoured trainer . It looks great but i am worried that i will not be able to fit the servos etc  Not really sure what they are ) my question is will i be able to build the aircraft with no knowledge of building at all.  I think it is an ARTF aircraft but it still worries me .

Advert

Hi Mark.....and welcome to our "friendly forum".

Please take a minute to read the various threads we have done to help you get the most from using the forum. Also, you may want to consider filling in a little about yourself on your profile page - you dont need to divulge too much - check a few others for ideas - it will help you to get better response from the other forum users. Below you will find a few "clickable" links to some of the more relevant beginners pieces.

Please read these. 

And here 

And another

BMFA clubs 

I think you need to gen up a bit on the basics if you dont even know what the servos are! Perhaps someone in the club / shop where you bought it could assist you?

Timbo.

Hi Mark
Irvine claim the Tutor 40 with it full colour illustrations can be built by someone who has no previous experience. This may be so but my suggestion is get as much help and advice as you can and don't rush. What's obvious to the experienced may not be so to you, so if in doubt - ask, at your club or on this forum.
Most of us oldies learned the hard way. You will make mistakes,we all do, its part of the learning process but so much better to seek as much help as can. There are plenty of nice people on this forum with a wealth of experience who are patient & willing to help.  

Hi Mark and welcome to the best forum on the net.
You do appear to be an absolute beginner so I can only agree to what the other chaps have said. Dont worry about making a fool of yourself by asking questions as if you dont ask you will never learn. Even after the questions have been ask some still dont learn, but that is their loss. The lads on here will not take the micky out of you, they reserve that for me but of course I do live in Grantham dont I Timbo lol
Garry

Can i just add that not only does the tutor look great, it flies great too. I did my basic flight training, A certificate (like a driving license but for model planes if you didn't know) and some aerobatics on it.

Just take your time over the build and if you have any questions ask on here.

No one so far seems to have explained what a servo actually is so:

Servo - A small unit that turns information from your receiver into rotary motion to move the flight surfaces of your aircraft.

Good Luck with the build
Jonathan

I was (am) pretty clueless with all the "stuff" to make the models work. Reading forums and getting some good advise from the club cleared up most of it. And "learning by doing" got me as far as installing servo's, receivers and batteries, working out an safe pre-flight check, and starting the engine.

It's not rocket science. Thankfully I wrote a list of what I didn't know, went and asked and worked it out from there.

Hi mark Not only am I a beginner but Im old as well.You ve done 2 important things,joined a club and this Forum both sets of guys are very helpful and in under 12 months ive learnt loads.Just keep asking its the only way.Alot of the problems that arise turn out to be very simple and nearly every problem has an obvious answer to these experts,but they love there hobby and they enjoy teaching newbies as much as flying there own stuff  good luck , and read the instructions until yuor 100% before doing anything

Wow thanks for all the replies guys I think this forum could be seeing alot of me. I have been reading alot and learning what equipment I will need  .I think I will be getting a spektrum dx7 does the reciever for the plane come with the dx7 or is it bought seperately . And one more question are flight sims worth buying to use my dx7 with.
Thanks guys Mark

Mark
1) Yes - but many places will sell you just the Tx if you really want ( which you wouldnt )
2) Yes again - the DX7 has the same buddy lead socket ( which you use for the sim connection ) as JR gear.
(Incidentlly, have you considered the DX6i - I have both and the 6i is remarkable VFM and comes with a 6 channel receiver which is good for almost any model.

• 2 weeks later...
Cheers guys. Well Iook the plunge bought the lot Tutor 40 , Dx7, fully equiped flight box. Now all i think i need is a battery for the reciever. Now there is my question which should I buy lots on offer, any particular one that I should buy.

Ps ... I am going to start building on monday I will keep you posted and ask for advice a lot  am  sure  LOL .. Cheers Mark

Assuming your servos are OK with 6V - then on the Spektrum gear, 6v is the best option. However it doesnt end there - voltage is not the be all and end all of choosing a battery.
It must be of reasoanably high capacity to feed todays modern servos, and should be capable of supplying the required current...when required. For this reason, most models will require at least AA size cells, and I would aim for around 1500mAh capacity at least.
I have also assumed that you will be using NiMhs rather than Lipo