WattsDog

I built this model last year and what a lovely model it is.
I put in a small brushless and it chuggs about for ever.

This is my first RCpower model in 30 years of model flying (glider guy at heart) and my first ever electric model. It has reintroduced me to the pleasures of RC after some years out of the scene.

In fact I so like it I am tempted to enlarge it, with flaps and ailerons as a camera plane.

My next model is another Miller design, the Size Zero (from another mag!!) which will also be electric.

I just wondered what other Miller Models people had built?

Advert

i built the wattsdog, although me being a stupid child i thought i knew how i could make it quicker it wasn't exactly very strong and the first time i landed it the fuselage former with the undercarriage on just snapped!it always flew sideways and as i couldn't be bothered to build a wing for it i used a wing that my grandad had gave me for some reason we ended up cable tieing a big piece of depron onto the tail and it flew better, only cause the wingspan was a lot bigger.
I seem to have a strange attraction to Peter Miller's models, i was going to build the toot sweet but dad said wouldn't you prefer a plane that would be easier to fly (me being quite the beginner back then) and i got a free westwings toucan out of it from my dad after quite a long time of not really building anything i built the wattsdog and now i have just completed the miss demeanor, and have started on the Feugray TR260! i need to stock up on wood though, i can't start on the wings because i have no wood for the spars and i can't start the fuse because i dont have the wood for the fuselage doublers :s

• 10 months later...
The wing is only joined with the 10 Guage piano wire. There is a 10 Guage brass tube built into the front spar on each waing as shown in the cross section of the spar, This has balsa infill above and below and the 1/32" ply webs each side.

Once the wing is complete it is slid onto the wire joiner and held down with the elkastic bandss.

You could easily make the wing as a one piece unit. You would have to cut plywood dihedral braces to match the spars and cut slots in the ribs beside the spars to take them

Build   the wings but don't add centre section sheet. Pin one down. Join the other to it with the tip propped up 4 1/2". Add the dihedral braces at ther spars and when dry add the centre section sheeting.

I hope this helps. If I can help any more don't hesitate to ask.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Adrian,

Below are some photos of my Wattsdog. It is a great plane (Thanks Peter!) I changed the tail plane on the model (putting the stabiliser on the top instead of underneath) and added a brushless motor. Hope the pictures assist with your build. I think I built the wing exactly as per the plan.

Cheers, Rob.

• 1 month later...
Rob

Thanks for taking the time to take photo's of your fantastic looking Wattsdog. It always amazes me how helpful everyone is in this hobby.
The photo's have helped me enormously and the building of the wing is now taking shape albeit slowly due to a busy life and work schedule.
I will post some pictures as when the model is finished

Thanks again
Adrian

• 2 weeks later...
That's a lovely looking little model, and I really like the idea of making it portable!

I bet it wouldn't be too much trouble to knock up a carry-case for it either, although I'd certainly plump for a more modern powertrain - probably a little 'bell' motor and 2S li-po.

tim