Saito FA45

'Widget'

Hi all,
          I've just acquired a used Saito FA45 engine, it does not come with a box or paper work, has anyone a manual they can E'mail me as I need to check the tappets etc;
                     Apart from the obvious markings on the engine & the one piece cylinder and head, how can I tell which mark it is & how old ?

Cheers,  Martin

Advert

You'd get some relevant info from http://www.macgregor.co.uk/Cat/Engines/SAT/manuals/Single_Cylinder.pdf but it doesn't cover the 45 specifically

The older 45 (without a plate saying Special) isn't particularly powerful but purrs along and will last for ever, like any Saito. 

The special is a lot more powerful but still a lovely engine.

When starting, they like to be saturated with fuel - if you run pressure, get a friend to block the end of the pipe (or silencer, if fitted) to prime it while starting it from cold until it fires or make good use of the choke.

You might try contacting Brian Winch through RCM&E as I believe he has extensive knowledge of Saitos - although all his engines are the wrong way up!

Coincidentally MartinS , I acquired a FA45 this weekend.  It has seen a plenty  of use and needs  a lot of TLC.  Have spent a good few hours stripping and cleaning.  Attempted to start her tonight and just got her going and no more.  Was unable to get her to build up revs which I suspect is down to carburetor set up.  Delighted with MatrinH posting (Full of Martins the posting)  which I will try the next time I start her.I will  fiddle about with the needles hopefully to get the revs up

A word of warning with these engines, you will catch what I call the the Harley Davidson syndrome.  You polish and clean, and polish and clean and never get satisfied with the result. Just discovered another two tools to my cleaning armory of Fairy Power Spray, tooth picks and tooth brush.  Pipe cleaners are magic for getting into the fins and an equivalent to a brillo pad which looks like a bundle of aluminum swarf and  does not scratch.   Any others I would gladly hear about which would make this affliction more biddable. 

This is the second Siato I have acquired and am hooked.  The first isa 40 special that was seezed solid.  After a LOT of TLC, got her eased off.  I have posted previously, but when I  started her, she fired up almost immediately and the tick over was like a pulse beat.  I have fitted her to my Cub and was impressed by the power.  Hope to get out tomorrow as my first flight ended in a disaster due to my inability to appreciate my capabilities.

Sorry to ramble on, low fliers again, but keep us informed of your progress.

Had quite a game getting a friend's very old one running last Saturday.  Probably gummed up in the carb but eventually got it going by pulsing the exhaust pressure with a finger over the pipe as it tried to die for a minute or more until it kept itself going.  Mind you, my finger was getting awfully hot at times!
Got my reward a bit later when I was offered a go with this well over 20 year old piece of modelling history!

Got to the field at lunch time and found it was a bit gusty but as I had not had a flight in a few weeks thought give it a try.  Did not start as quickly as before but took MartinH advice and forced fuel into her to get her going.  Once up and running no problem.

Got the Cub up but she was all over the place and a bit hairy to control.  Brought her down and gave her the once over but could find nothing wrong.  On my next attempt my inexperienced showed again.  Tried to get her up to quickly and she "tip stalled", if that is the correct term.  A gust caught her and over she went fortunately with no serious damage.

Repairing the damage this evening I noticed the ailerons looked odd.  It was then I noticed that the securing screw for the "nipple link" on one aileron was missing which would explain the erratic behavior.  In the process of replacing the screw,  when the brass insert broke.  Big lesson learned here as,  I had drilled the nipple out to suite the push rod, and  had obviously weakened it.  Threw both away and made new ones with the correct materials.  Hopefully this will resolve the erratic flying.

What I have noticed about the Saito 45 is a single click just before the inlet valve opens.  On the 40 I found that I have two clicks for inlet and exhaust.  Are the cam followers spring loaded or what is the reason? 

Just a little update.

At the field on Tuesday with the Cub and the 40.  Got an experienced member to take it up first .  Flew like a dream with some minor trimming.  Engine was no problem.

Had another  try at the 45 yesterday and it would not start or if it did would not pick up revs.  Fiddled with  the jets to no avail so decided an in depth look would be required.  Found valve timing way out.  Put back together and started instantly.  Some minor needle adjustments and turning over a dream.

Some before and after pics and a rather shaky utube  videos.  (Still working out how to convert and if a sucess will take a better video)

Before clean up

Another view and two of the completed works

The engine stand is a vice I picked up some time ago from Lidl/Aldi and have simple drilled and taped the top to hold aluminum 1/4 strips.  The vice does not press on the engine

Hope these links work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWGPJ9EDBHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF5_wJ-8f34