Futaba FF7

andy watson

Hi,

I have come to the conclusion my Futaba 6EX will not fly my rather ambitious) stuka, so I will need to upgrade my radio.

The stuka will need:

a) 4 channels- throttle, ailerons, elevator, rudder.

b) 1 channel flaps & landing light

c) 1 channel dive brake & siren

d) 1 channel bomb drop.

I want to stick with futaba because I have a couple of (expensive) receivers but also it's performed faultlessly.  Looking at the specs they go on about all kinds of functions I don't understand, but don't explain the more basic ones I need to know.

To run the set up as described I think I would need:

a) On the sticks
b) Some kind of proportional control (a dial? a multiposition switch?)
c) On/off
d) On/off

Does the futaba have these controls, and am I reading my requirements properly? (I have never flown a model with flaps, but assume they need control rather than on/off)

Advert

Hmm, you're probably looking at the FF10/10C there Andy. I guess the FF7 would be ok but the '10 will give you more flexibility/dials/assignable switches etc - budget permitting (some retailers will split the set and sell just the TX)

You could have the flaps as on/off (two-position) or on a progressive slide/dial of which the '10 has both so the flaps could be assigned to either according to preference. I like the side slide switch on my '10 to which I usually assign flaps. It means I don't have to take my fingers off the sticks to activate them.  

There's one dial Andy, have look at this 
No side slider switches though. Channels 5 & 7 are switch assignable. Thinking it through though - were you going to y-lead the ailerons?

1. ailerons
2. elevator
3. throttle
4. rudder
5. flaps on y-lead
6. aileron 2
7. bomb release
8. dive brake

So for 7 channels you'll need 2 y-leads. Personally I'd go 8 channels so I could have each aileron adjustable separately from the Tx.

Yes, know what you mean about the 10 but it's something that would cover all your needs now and in the future too. 

What does anyone else think?

Was already going to angle for the 7 as a birthday present in april...... 

Then again, it is my 40th, so maybe there's a chance. 

Then again I was also after a high torque starter, as mine won't cope with the OS70 in the DVII- so it will have no chance with the Saito 1.20 going in the stuka!

Ah well, I'm sure I can smuggle something in somewhere!!

Oh, and plan is ailerons on a Y lead, but also all 4 flaps on a doubled up Y lead combination.

Funny you should mention that- I was wondering why we had jumped from 7 to 10!

I will have a look to see if it is available in 2.4 and what the price is like.

I was looking at the 10, and notice one of the switches is a 3 position flaps switch.

f the 7 has one of these, then maybe it's possible to have:

position 1: all off
Position 2: dive brakes and siren on
position 3: as 2 + bomb drop.

I save a channel then, and still have the single rotary dial for flaps

Hmm, that sounds like some clever electronics required there Andy? The switch would only relate to one channel so you'd need to wire all those functions in somehow and unless something clever happened they all go off at the same time.

The FF9 is a 35MHz only radio but it's modular so you could buy a Futaba  2.4 Module for it. Get the FF9 super which was the later model. The FF9 was replaced by the '10 last year - you could get a good one for £100 'ish second hand I guess.

hello andy-there are some bargain transmitters to be had-probably at your club----i just got a second hand FF9--there are a lot of people who are moving across to 2.4ghz and selling their 35mhz stuff off for bargain prices just to get rid???? strike while the iron is hot and nab a bargain.......................

ken anderson....................

Andy, unless you are using Futaba PCM Rx's any other make of 35mhz ppm Tx will drive Futaba PPM rx's, I use my old Futaba PPM Rx's with my Multiplex Tx with no problems.

Look for a Tx which has the features and controls you want, but i'm going to guess a 9 channel set is probaly what you are looking for. Having the aileron and flaps on separate channels will make it easier to set up from the Tx.