Idiots Guide

Peter Gallivan

After years of electric flying I have decided to join the ranks of IC flyers. I have purchased an SC 180 4 stroke for my Zero which I will collect sometime this week.
Question, is there a general IC tutorial posted or can anyone point me in the direction of a good info source.  If poss I  would like to read up on the strict IC do's and dont's before I let myself loose on a new motor!!!!!!!  

Advert

Hi Shaun, its the mid size CMPro ARTF,  WS 1800 mm  weight alpprox 5000g,  they recommend a 120 4 stroke,  but I am reliably informed a larger 4 stroke engine will be better and 'more scale' .
I know that the engine will come with its own instructions ,however any good info source will benefit my learning curve!!

peter that is a large engine for a novice ic er if possible tesr run it offthe plane in a test rig its much easier to get round it on a workmate or bench, be VERY CAREFUL four stokes can throw props sometimes with dire results best advice is ask someone with experience of large fourstokes to help you set it up most moddellers love to play with a new engine .use an electric starter till you have been shown how to flick start the engine
allways have a firm hold of the prop when applying the glowstart

good luck regards phil

Phil, many thanks that's great information. I was intending test run on the bench first to get to know the beast!!!
As Chris C mentions I reckon there are a lot of potential electric converts dying to take the IC plunge  but may need this type of general basic info for 2 & 4 strokes available in one place. I have been reading Brian Winch's articles which are very informative but was looking for something more akin to the beginners guide for IC?? to just run you through the basics pointing out the the potential probs  

Is it out there, or is all the information held by long standing club members?

one thing i forgot to mention peter when you start up you will find that the compresion comes up after two turns of the prop use the compression stroke if you are using a chicken stick if using a starter turn the prop over the compression stroke this gives the starter a better chance to spin the engine some fourstrokes will start with a reverse flick of the spinner against the compression so dont PLAY with the engine if the glow is attached
REMEMBER BIG PROPS BITE HARDER
just given my finger a whack with a 14by7 on an os70 by not heeding my own advice no blood but painful
stopping the engine to make adjustments saves skinned knuckles takes longer but you keep fingers

one more peter allways take the glowstart off from behind the engine and be aware of your throttle settings when you turn it over to start engines can start on tick over or full throttle particully with an electric starter.
if using 35 meg radio watch you aerial near the prop
allways hold your plane on the opposite side to the exhaust less messy and a better grip, and no burnt fingers after your flight
oh by the way welcome to the wonderful world of noisy smelly IC
make sure your rx switch is opposite side to exhaust

Phil, many many thanks, this is exactly the type of information that is invaluable!!
Question, what pearls of wisdom do you have re the fuel tank positioning, plumbing to ther engine, system presurising etc and all things fuel related.

Ps using 2.4 gz ,so at least that's one good thing!!  

hello peter--phil's the man with some sound advice in his postings-take heed that's one powerfull lump of metal you've got--the advice not to go flying on your own with big engine's--if you catch your finger's and chop a few offski-they reckon you'll pass out with the shock etc and probably not wake up as you'll have bled to death(gruesome)but possible--after that horrible stuff-common sense must prevail when using the motor--get a good model book and initially get an ic user to give you some advice/look over your shoulder............

ken anderson................................

re the dreaded prop chop i saw a very experienced very careful modeller get bitten by a prop it did not look to severe, indeed he packed away his models himself and drove off with out showing us what he had done and refused all offers of help or first aid. it turned out he had severed two tendons and it took nine months to heal properly
he was a b certificate club instructor so it can get anybody
a very good friend was maidening  a large stearman with a 64 cc petrol engine when he got caught  his forefinger was broken in four places and cut to peices the local hospital managed to save his finger but he hasent got full movement

as to fuel advice read the theads i use dura glow  5% in every thing with no problems tanks should be set up if possible with the feed pipe level or just below the carb keep pipes clear of throttle cables and the side of engine.
when fitting the tank try to do it so that the tank can be taken out again if needs be sods law says it will trust me

most of what i have told you is on the threads here take a day off and give them a good read thats my lot for tonight my one typing finger is going numb regards phil

Cheers Ken, looking forward to this IC challenge and keeping all fingers intact!!!! Having spent a few bob I was certainly going to get more experienced eyes to oversee the process.
Phil's info was just what I needed to start the learning process and yours a great reminder to take care!!

Fairly steep learning curve I think!!

All this talk of injuries should act as a warning but don't let it put you off.  Personally, I'd say that an electric equivalent is actually far more dangerous - an IC will stall at some point but electric motors are giving their highest torque at the stall and just itching to be released to have another bite.  On top of which they will not warn you that they are a millisecond from starting...

I always try to impress on people to treat electric motors as if they were an IC engine running at full throttle whenever the flight battery is connected. Gives me the willies when I see a hand or arm in the prop arc when people are setting up electrics.

What I'm saying is that safe IC (or electric, for that matter) operation is about discipline and thinking before acting.  Take Phil's advice and you won't go far wrong.  The only thing I'd add (sorry Phil, if you mentioned this and I've missed it) is to be very sure that the model is restrained properly.

Things that happen behind the prop are rarely finger threatening (except when using pusher props which are incredibly dangerous) so get round there promptly after the engine starts and before using any significant revs. even if it means a bit more effort when setting up etc.

One last warning - the 180 is easily capable of shifting/tipping smaller workmates - mine gave me a sharp wake up call - just as well that I'd taken my own advice about being behind the whirling bits!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to everyone for all there great suggestions the SC 180 is now fully run in and purring away nicely at full revs. Most importantly still have all fingers and managed to avoid any incidents, just slowly and carefully !!! Can't wait to get it in the Zero now!!
Thanks again for all your help!!