Panic biplane

I decided to buy one while I was reading February issue of RCM&E. As I was going to place the order, my friend called to tell me that he was watching the same advert and the same model. I clicked on "galaxymodels.co.uk" and placed an order for two Panics. I decided to take their special deal which for just 135.00 Sterling they include an SC 61 ABC engine. The models came after a couple of weeks and I jumped on mine in order to have it in the air in the shortest time possible. Unfortunetly, mine had both top and bottom left wing with broken ribs. I cut the covering with a surgical knife from the underneath and made a cartoon template of the rib and used 2mm balsa to duplicate the ribs. Luckily I found the exact matching clear orange covering locally. All went together plain sailing, mounted the engine on soft mount (an extra 12.00 sterling), as recommended and after 4 days it was ready for running-in. Last Thursday at 5 I srcrammbled to the flying field and gave the engine 6 fuel tanks on rich settings. Weather was perfect but it was getting dark whereupon I put it back in my Opel Astra stationwagon in 1 piece and headed home.
Last Saturday turned to be perfect, sunny, warm, no clouds and light winds. Started the engine, just a pre-flight check, and in just 5 feet it leapt into the air. No trims were needed. I did 5 enjoyable flights. I put it on charge for Sunday. Yesterday, weather was completely opposite, windy, heavily clouded and cold. But nevertheless, the Panic was in the pits and that meant that it was going to fly. With the 61 pulling strong, the Panic left the ground in no time at all. Needless to say, its performance is awsome, huge amount of power coupled with huge control surfaces, light weight, symetrical wing section and well designed, there are no faults in this model. It''s a complete joy.
Therefore, for just 89.95 Sterling, contact John of Galaxy Models & Hobbies of Ipswitch, Suffolk or go online and order yours as soon as possible. You will never again live without one.

Advert

I have one of the old Panics, fibreglass fuselage with foam wings covered in balsa, fitted with an ASP 90 2 stroke. A bit heavier than the new ones but will fly in any wind condition (although I find landings backwards is strong winds a bit strange). I would defiantly recommend a Panic to anyone who wants a fun model.

I have bought several models since I got my Panic, but I still keep coming back to it. Its a total hooligan and will do anything I ask of it. If ever I write it off, I will defiantly get one of the new ones. Have fun.  

Your broken ribs have me wondering, I had the same problem with mine. Not hard to sort but I could see no damage to the box and it was well packaged. Which indicates the damage occured somewhere either at the factory, or less likely perhaps, in the shop.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I cannot fault the flying, from easy trainer style to downright hooligan. It is light indeed, in a breeze and on Tar I had to keep the engine going till it was "caught"

Even my box wasn't damaged. Normally the lid of the box would be crunched, an evident that something heavy crushed it but not this time. I called my friend Mark to check his but he is abroad. I didn't forward a complain to the manufacturer since it was an easy job to fix.
It happened to me some time ago when I bought the Hangar 9 Twist. The lid of the box was crushed and they sent me a brand new wing free of charge from the States.

• 3 weeks later...
I bought on of the new artf's in white, its great!

I fly mine with a saito 90 Twin cylinder, looks awesome on show bolted to the airframe for all to see and pulls it around the sky like a train.

Prop hanging,  tail slides, blenders, flat spins , harriers, I could go on and on but seriously there is nothing it can't do.

my first panic (circa 1988) flew for the sum total of 5 seconds before it was totalled - my dad had the elevator servo reversed and looped it on take off into the deck - full chat !

My second panic is an original with foam wings etc..  its 99% complete after a total rebuild and re-cover - soon I will fly this one again.

My third panic is the artf one mentioned above.

I think its great how ugly it is, some of my fellow club members cant stand anything which isnt scale so I can see the pain on their faces when they see it on the flight line.

Ok, its not a scale biplane plane, but its a biplane so has a lot of  character, and mated to a beatiful looking 4 stroke twin with a distinctive twin engine beat, couple that with being able to pull every trick in the book and great flying performance - It mess's with their minds!!!!

Edited By Howard Tomlin on 18/03/2009 12:47:53

• 3 years later...

maybe if you hadnt jumped on it when you got it the wing ribs would have been ok?

seems a strange thing to do to a model before you build it ?

just to see if I was missing anything I jumped on one of my fun fly kits before I built it ...seemed to only have an adverse affect on the model, and the smaller bits were much harder to glue together