Budget 2.4Ghz FHSS for under 40

gliderpilot01

You have to be pretty close to the Rx to get a successful bind Jack - and the chances of someone else doing a bind on their model at the exact same time as you are doing yours are pretty slim I would say. Besides, all binding should surely be done at home in the workshop, before any flight is made?

Advert

galaxy model's are advertising the boomerang trainer c/w planet tx/rx(which i take to be 2.4ghz)in the new(june) edition of rcme...................

ken anderson........

ps...both the tran/rx-2.4ghz for £40.00 post free......santa has come sharp..........

GPO1
Just received my "cheapo" 2.4 gear from Giant Cod .Incredible service in spite of a one -off mix up on my info given with someone elses  .Even got a phone call from Hong Kong !  It is a Radio Link  T4U set .I am extremely impressed with it _ it feels right & me being an oldie just love the "proper" trims .I'm quite capable of turning the odd clevis a turn or two to neutralise everything  after the test flight  PLUS I can alter my tick- over again depending on temp/humidity etc  -Brilliant !
Couple of questions though .There is no info whatsoever on what batteries should be used to use the charging socket .The dry battery supports are extremely tight and reassuring -not the usual flimsy things found in cheap equipment.so am going to our Maplins branch tomorrow & I know I'll get confused with all the stuff on display .Should I go for those A123 things( & remove the battery grips ) or NiMh s.Timbo has answered this sort of query for me some time ago but am still not sure -there are so many conflicting opinions.& I expect things have moved on since then Maybe I should just get loads of duracells or similar.as the current consumption is so low.
Corona module arrived as well .Perfect fit in the optis 6 .Thinking of making a plastic "guard" around the back of the Tx so that if (when) it falls backwards ,it doesn't hurt the antenna or dislodge the module .

Sorted out my problem with the Giant Cod  Radio link £27 combo .Took out the circuit board & pushed home two multi connectors ,one of which was held at a terrible angle by an over tightened tie wrap ,the other wasn't even all the way in !!. Must have been a friday night job in Hong Kong ( I wonder what they get up to ?      PERFECT now (this might just help others I hope) By the way I couldn't see the switches mentioned in the info forum ,neither the mode 1 /2 one or the other available on LH side of battery compartment (apparently) for aileron /elevator mixing for flying wings .Anyone else found them ??
Happier G-UMPY

• 5 weeks later...
Gents,

I found a few more trinkets this week that may be interesting to some one.

http://www.fd-rc.com/en/index.php.   

These guys make modules and also have a home made hack to install in your current non modular radio. 

I have a set on the way for some testing and comments and will post back here.  Video on youtube as well will follow.

Also found this supplier who has a pretty good selection of equipment at some astonishing prices.  I have not tried nor tested any of this but some of it looks to be ASSAN so it should be pretty good.

http://www.bidproduct.com/part/Product_list_TRANSMITTER%20RECEIVER%20CRYSTAL_1.html 

Keep you posted. 

• 2 months later...
Ok - an update to the JP/Twister Planet 5 2.4GHz FHSS £40 radio system.

I ordered one of these and eventually got one - they are in great demand!!
Well the business part - the part that establishes the radio link is postage stamp sized and sits just behind the led on the front panel. In fact that led is driven by the RF board and blinks rapidly on start-up (bind mode) and then (if fed the proper PPM signal) switches to a solid red.

The RF board takes 5v and accepts a negative going (i.e. mosty positive but with 0V spikes) PPM pulse train to convey the stick controls to it.

To use this in another transmitter you need to:

Open up the case, unclip the 2.4GHz module, unplug the gold antenna plug, and unplug the black/orange/red plug.

Liberate the aerial.

So I open up my RD6000 Sanwa computer radio, cut the +ve track to the RF section (so it is completely dead) add a 7805 regulator to power the RF board, and hunt around with an oscilloscope for a -ve going PPM pulse train. Once found that was also connected - and after a little mechanical modelling everything fits in fine.
Note: so not use the buddy lead signal - it is about 9V, find a 5V one. 

So now I have a fully functional FHSS 2.4GHz TX that has all the toys of the RD6000 - like the computer radio, model memory, superb gimbals etc. And you know what? Yup - every new model just needs another £10 receiver.

Thumbs up for the planet 9!

Compliance:
Remember to use the original coax and antenna.
1. FCC compliance is based on the module and aerial system remaining untouched.
2. CE compliance is based on it being mounted in a 'substantially similar' device - which is the RD6000 TX.
3. Legality is assuming the original RF character of the donor Planet 5 is legal.

So I now have a legal and CE/FCC compliant system too, which is nice.

Hi guys,

Just for the hell of it I bought the Planet set a couple of days ago £40 Tx / Rx. 

Sales blurb never mentions wether its full range or park fly,on the box it says Outstanding range.Opened the instuction booklet and ther first thing you see is WARNING park fly only dont exceed 150 m.

Bottom of the next page we have  NOT WHAT YOU EXPECT,   I you are thinking about buying this set and its not what you expect   Dont buy it.      If you have already purchased the set and its not what you expected take it back to the retailer and get your money back..

Range test. rigged the rx up with a servo and battery and plugged it into the throttle channel  and tested the fail safe function ok, My pal took the setup and jumped on his bike and away he went,sytem still working ok at over 300m.

Good enough for me,installed the rx in my MIni super and off to the field,flew the model till it  was just a spec in the sky and experienced no problems at all.

Next test will be in Peter Millers Cap 21 to see how it performs when in hooligan mode.

Jimbo 

Edited By Jim Carss on 15/08/2009 10:03:41

Funny thing I have found with all these "NEW" FHSS systems is they seem to really only be what JR calls DSSS or in the case of Corona and Fly Dream they use three channels.  I have not had a chance to test them out to see how they handle some interference but I do suspect they will be just fine.

One thing for certain is none of the FHSS setups I have played with use the same amount of the spektrum as FUTABA.  They seem to have the maximum use of the spectrum sown up. But bottom line it does not really matter how much any system uses so long as its robust enough for the area that you fly in.

I'd be interested to know how many channels the JP/Planet system hops around if you can measure that!

I used to like futaba, their transmitters rocked. Then they went bean-counter-plastic, and the last one I bought was the Attack 2DR (for a car) and it was rubbish, totally exceeded by Sanwa and Acoms quality by miles. However good the technology is between the $5 radio modules I can't pay real money to have them surrounded by cheap plastic, joke model memory and a massive premium..

Another issue with futaba is their RX prices - what's all that about?? If they really wanted me to never buy another futaba system - I'd price them where they are now

Spektrum are not too bad - I have some spektrum gear, but I quickly tired of paying for new AR6200s when the turborix RXs were less than 1/3rd of the price. 
The Assan/Corona modules etc are good, but for £30 for the TX module (packed in a nice case with gimbals, switches etc) and £10 per receiver - the Planet series is quite stunning value for money. Now I have the superb RD6000 using it I'm really happy with the system that JP have allowed me, no binding button also makes conversion easier!!!

JP appear to have changed their mind about this set being FHSS. Although the advertising used to say ' Advanced FHSS'  the current advertising does not.
 There is no mention in the manual, the place where it used to say FHSS on the transmitter is now blank, and there is a white patch over 'FHSS' on the Rx.
 So what mode is it really ??

I recently suffered a severe mid air with my brand new Multiplex Cularis.  Lets just say it was a very painful experience.  All I got back was one servo. But to stay on topic the 7 channel FASST Rx got hit by the prop of the offenfçding plane and blew the case open.  I found all three peices scattered over the field and the board and hardware inside that case would not cost $10 to manufacture.  Seriously there is nothing to it.

However its likely hard for the big players to ever get down and dirty in the pricing game. You have to give credit where credit is due.  The R & D spent developing new radios, software etc must be huge.  The cheaper knock offs only need to clone what the big guys spend a million dollars on developing. Unfortunately a million dollars or quid does not go far in the R & D side of industry anymore these days.

However I will tip my hat to the newest players in the Tx and Rx business.  They are obviously starting from a clean sheet of paper in many cases and the products are getting better and better by the day.  The best thing in my mind is the hobby is still in an explosive growth mode so the lower cost enty level guys can get a good deal and some decent stuff for a good price and the old buggers who still like their Bentleys and Rollers can have the expensive (albeit plastic) stuff to take to the field in their Louis Vouitton custom designed radio cases.  

Posted by Mal Quelch on 15/08/2009 15:11:13:
JP appear to have changed their mind about this set being FHSS. Although the advertising used to say ' Advanced FHSS'  the current advertising does not.
 There is no mention in the manual, the place where it used to say FHSS on the transmitter is now blank, and there is a white patch over 'FHSS' on the Rx.
 So what mode is it really ??

Actually I think the term FHSS has been very much prostituted when you look at the systems on offer that say they are FHSS.

JR acheived Euro certification by using only two channels, yet that technically makes the system frequency hopping, albeit only two.  The new ASSAN FHSS is the same as JR, two channels and Corona and Fly-Dream use three channels.

The big F on the other hand uses the entire 2400 Ghz band.  So the question really is what constitutes FHSS and what is DSSS.  JR sell in the USA as DSSS but acheive Euro certification as FHSS.

Kind of puzzling.  Time out for a New Castle Brown and some time to ponder  over this conundrum.