Move over Wildthing the Fusion has landed

Just back from a big hill in the Cheviots and I only flew one model. Can you guess what that was? 

Mine displays similar behavior to the oher two also. Unless on a big hill or there is plenty of lift I need a few clicks of "up" and it stooges around like a Zaggi.   On a big hill in 20mph and a few clicks of down it will outpace my PMP Impulse and is as steady as a rock.
 But back to the point.... If you lose too much speed it does seem to fly slightly downhill.

Edited By Andy Freeman on 26/04/2009 19:02:49

It's not really a combat model though, is it Andy? In my mind it's an EPP60 racer - just.

It should really have some ballast capacity, and perhaps a stiffer spar - and stiffer elevons, AND a different covering ... er, so perhaps it IS a combateer after all!

Overall, Andy, do you like it?

Matthew, I think its great.... i have the 46 inch version though. Not sure how much difference that makes, although it sounds to have the same idiosyncrasies. 

The problem I have is that I have flown it on a little sea cliff in 10-15 mph  of wind. On there it wasnt that much faster than the Zaggis but was a hell of a lot smoother and picked up speed quickly at the expense of height. Not suprising really as i rekon it was about the practical miminum amount of lift for having any sport at all.

When I have flown it  on a big hill in 30 mph  and felt it was really ripping along the only two things to measure it against was a moulded 60 racer and a 60 inch zipper. It seemed a bit lacking compared to them unsuprisingly.

I rekon its an epp sports/combat model really. More than happy covering the sky quickly ( for me) on a big hill and no need to be feared of the combat monsters swarming round the edge of the hill. 

On my local hill i rekon about 20-30 mph is where it excels. about 20 mph this afternoon and no real loss of height across the face.

In summary its my current favorite....

Thanks Andy. I think you've summarised it well. Mine now has 88g of lead in the battery compartment to get a cofg at 100 dead. 

So what this tells us is I need something for lighter wind sloping. Since I can't get a Weasel until I find out if the bloke'll ever deliver those who've ordered theirs, a Receiver Ready Easyglider is sounding good.

Got  a spare RX, question is do I have a spare testicle

(Sorry Timbo, consider one on the sticky bun slate!)

I had mine set up at 4.5 inches initially. Eric, the man who kindly tested it for me popped 15g of lead on the nose to tame the elevator down a bit for the first few flights. Since then the lead dropped of during one of my trademark arrivals but 30% exponential has achived similar levels of managability. 

I have not been flying long and am by no means an expert but if i could only have one glider this would be the one i would keep.

Edited By Andy Freeman on 26/04/2009 22:19:31

My cofg is now even more forward. Took fusion out in not enough wind on a big hill and still had to add 10g to the front. One click of up and it's a pussy cat, bit insipid, floats around, gains height well but not punchy. Two clicks of down and it's an alley cat, valley floor seeking, hard turning little minx. I loved it.

Wind was getting lighter and lighter and it became really pleasant to fly just stooging around but it ain't what it's built for. I practised close passes and "to feet" landings which was good, it feels a bit easier to get exactly where you want it than the WT. I even got cocky and tried to catch it.

That was rewarded by an EPP shove to the right ear, a fusion flying on unconcerned over the edge and a stunned pilot operating the control from his position - wet bottomed - supine in the bracken. No one there to see it or hear me laughing.

It's no big WT and all the better for it.

MORE WIND CARRUTHERS!

Have a big dilemma and need some help.

There is an ideal 15-20mph southerly forecast for tomorrow.

So, do I finish covering the Fusion and balance it up, or do I go out flying with the Bedlam and Blizzard.

Life is such a bitch sometimes!!!!!

Well, 'tis built, and what an ugly looking beast - nowt graceful about it.

Still, it was built to fly and not look pretty.

Surprisingly it balanced exactly at 4 1/4" from leading edge without any noseweight - that Sanyo Enveloop 2000mAh battery must be heavier than standard.

All up weight is 720G - 60G heavier than Alan quotes in the instructions.

'Tis charging up now so I'm off to check the weather for tomorrow!

Andy,

Thanks for the balance point info.

Once I have the CofG set up correctly I do not mess about with it.

Far better to use trim (up or down) according to conditions and add ballast if necessary.

All my gliders have a similar colour scheme - boring but very practical.

Yellow for the underside as it contrasts with both blue sky and cloud.

Red for the top as it contrasts with green (both in the air and when lost in heather), and also with sky when inverted.

Red also looks very good when the sun is reflecting off it.

All charged up yet drizzle over the moors for the whole of today - will probably have to wait until Thursday to maiden.

Will let you know how it goes.

Now, where can I fit in about 8oz of ballast.

Peter, I dont think you will need it Really. Mine flies in 30mph very well without. As in a previous posting it was up with a 60 inch zipper and still penatrating very well. 

You might want more from it but for me it really is just right as it is. For the moment anyway.......

I would suggest that it aint going to be nearly as quick. The only Blizzard i have seen on the slope was full of LiPo and 400 Watt motor. It was very brisk indeed......

I kind of think of the fusion as a combat model that can be a sport model too. It goes nicley with my zaggi as it really starts to get fun when the Zaggi is no longer interested in penatrating. Its also tough as old boots and allows me to fly lower, faster and to go for things i would not dare even with the PMP thing. 

Did I say mine is the 46" version.

I have a PMP thing too - a Bedlam which will do loops, rolls, spins, and stall turns, but it is a right bitch to try and do a bunt with.

Am hoping that the fusion will do consecutive bunts.

I built it to have something to throw around on the slope in a very wild and aerobatic way, together with a bit of combat - Alex seems to be chickening out here - what does a couple of hundred miles matter when a challenge has been laid down?

Ruthlessness rules!!!!!!!!

Really must get on with this decorating!

Andy,

Mine is the 46" version with CofG quoted by Alan Head at 4 - 4.25".

Have set it to the rearmost at 4.25".

Is your fusion the 60" with a different CofG setting.

Bad luck on the shoulder injury - I might be faking (oops I mean getting) one of those soon.

Presume that it is the type of injury which does not stop you from flying!!!!!!!!