Move over Wildthing the Fusion has landed

Ooops another mistake. Mine is the 46 and the CofG is at the rearmost quoted point. Must be 4.25 then......

Believe it or not shoulder was caused (partially) by decorating. A whole weekend on the wrong end of a paintbrush agrivated and existing condition to the point I may have to go under the knife now. Its a dangerous business decorating. Should carry a health warning.

Pretty much stops me windsurfing (my primary love) and might do so permanantly. Model flying is starting to fill all my now abundant spare time. But climbing hills with armfulls of gliders is good exercise and I can take one of the kids too. I can just about keep an eye on one and a model too.

Flew my 60 today with cofg forward of recommendation but I'm sure it flies better like that. It's really growing on me and I think represents excellent VFM (as do all SAS models). Probably prefer it to my WT with bigger winds/slopes. Heresy! 

Wanted to maiden mine today but had annoying drizzle all day long so decorating to please the wife, and working now until Thursday.

Need the money to buy the planes and need the time to fly them - catch 22 or what.

Alex,
Each to their own with CofG - some people like a forward one and some don't.
Glad you like it - what did happen to your Buzzard?

Andy,
Sorry to hear about the shoulder and the windsurfing.
I am sure I can feel a pain coming on in my arm!

Firstly Peter, motorways work both ways Feel free to come and visit us over here in the West and we'll show you some lovely slopes. Hopefully while we're still "up there" and your plane is in the bracken! 

I am always at my bravest on the Internet

The Blizz had a bad landing (pilot error) and removed the elevator from one side of the v-tail. So it wasn't a big fix but I've just not had it out since. Today wasn't a good day either, bit blustery and quite tricky conditions.

I'm going to try the cofg back a bit when I've flown it some more. Same on my EG, have it forward on that as well.

Matthew - what's the cofg on yours now, it was going great today.

Hi Alex,

A forward CofG makes the model less "twitchy" and some peolpe prefer it that way.

I am more of a hooligan in the air, and like my machines as responsive as possible.

Shame about the Blizz - I broke one side of the tailplane off mine (tried a roll a bit too close to the hill) but easily fixed with CA & kicker.

Let me get a few hours in with the Fusion and I might well head west for a day.

Beware though - the only plane in the bracken might be yours!!!!!

Hmm it wasn't that it was twitchy. It was more that it was really mushy. I need to fly it more and keep experimenting.

If I had a glove Peter, I'd be throwing it down right now! Still I was knocked out today while I was looking in the opposite direction. That's my excuse anyway...

OK so let's see if we can do more than just talk about this Alex.

Where do you fly, what's the route (presume M62 start) and how long would it take?

If the mountain (literally) will not come to Mohammed etc....................

Would love a day out on your patch.

Weather looking good for Thursday (25mph westerly) so hope to maiden the Fusion.

Hi guys as you all see im new to the forum, but need some info on the wildthing 46 ( BIRTHDAY PREZZY), can anyone tell me the range of wind it can cope with and is the cofg at 4.25" good enough.
Im normally a trad build soarer but been flying a flying wings SAS XL 48 wing for some time and wondered how the WT would perform against it.
I hope its more aerobatic.

Well folks, sort of maidened tha Fusion today on a poor west facing slope in a patchy south-westerly of about 15mph.

Needless to say the lift wasn't brilliant.

The good news is that it flies, straight and true.

It seems to fly in one of two ways - either mushing around trying to keep height or speeding rapidly downhill.

Tried it with a £1 coin in front of the battery to see if a more foreward CofG would help - it didn't so I guess that it is a design factor. (Incidentally I have called mine Julie as she is the ugliest girl I know).

My conclusion is that CofG at 4.25" is fine and that is where mine will stay.

So, what the Fusion needs is a good slope with good lift, and to be kept flying fast with racing turns to minimise height loss.

In these conditions, I think it will be awesome - will let you know after Saturday.

ps Buffy. Welcome. The 46" version seems very aerobatic - will do tight loops and also has the momentum for big ones. Roll rate is good. Not  tried a bunt yet. It is not for a beginner as it is very responsive and I have already changed the  30% aileron and elevator exponential recommended by Alan Head to 50%

Hi folks,

Flew the Fusion again today in proper conditions - 25mph straight onto a good slope.

Still the same symptoms - mushy and floaty or fast and downhill, and it had difficulty penetrating the wind without a lot of down trim (then it had difficulty staying up).

So, it needs to fly faster without heading down to the bottom of the slope and, despite Alan Head's recommendation, the answer is ballast.

Only had about 40G (1 1/2 oz) of church roof with me, so I taped it on the underside of the fus right on the CofG.

What a difference this made. It would penetrate easily and was fast and responsive without losing height.
Loops, double loops, rolls and inverted were then made easy.

Had a great time with it, and now trying to figure out how to fit a ballast box in - right on that CofG.

Talking of CofG, 4.25" is right for me and the dive test was spot on.

The wind seemed to have picked up more - checked it when I left - 35mph on the edge.

Also fflew the Blizzard - awesome as usual - very fast and just floated up on all that lovely lift.

Failed to fly mine in 60mph winds yesterday but that was mainly because I couldn't launch it. I reckon it'd been great! Broke it, repaired it, flew it again today. Still ace. No idea where my cofg is now, I have no ballast or balance weights. I might try strapping some underneath the cofg point on the fuz just to give it a try one day.

Still after the repair, you could say it's already a bit more ballasted than it was!

Alex, you need some ballast in it

Carve out a second hatch right on the CofG and CA a bit of plywood in with a bolt epoxied into the middle.

Cut a few bits of lead and drill a hole in them.
Choice of one, two, three or four ounces.

Put the lead on the bolt and secure with a nut

Stick the hatch back on with a bit of that plastic tape and you would hardly know it is there.

So, if it will fly in 35mph with 1 1/2 oz of ballast, what will it do with four?

well we had a wonderfull afternoon at our local cliff's-8 of us there-the oldest was a young 84 year's--4 zaggi's , a fusion--two apache's--a mini blade and a chris foss phase 6...red hot sun-easterly wind's-and a lot of laugh's..................

ken anderson........

Took the Fusion out today (first almost dry day for a while) for its second outing, and first time I have flown it with 4oz of church roof in its belly.

Whirlygig thingy showed 35 mph on the edge and the Fusion just soared and soared.

Not a hint of mushiness, just flying level very quickly and furiously.

Flew beautifully - loops, bunts, rolls, reversals, and everything else in the book.

Nearly hit myself on the head doing the fourth consecutive loop!

Wind dropped down to 25mph and still flew in the same way.

Also seems to be rain and hail proof! - shame I am not - hail at 35mph hurts a bit!

So, all you Fusion owners, stick some ballast in it and leave the CofG at 4 1/4"!

May be an ugly beast on the ground, but when the sun is glinting off those those red wings and the correx tail gives the odd flash, it is quite beautiful in the air.

Think I am starting to fall in love - don't tell the wife or the Buzzard!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Anyone have any ideas on making the fin removable?  I've got access to some industrial velcro (stuff they use to stop televisions sliding around on ships in rough seas etc) but it would probably rip the tape off before releasing the fin!
It's for storage purposes I'm trying to do this, not just for kicks

• 9 months later...
Back again, been a while,
Dusted off the Fusion again and had a fly recently - COG set up must be slightly off, can't stay up in anything less than 15mph on a steep coastal, and seems to loose high far too easily and generally not behave anything like I've seen others manage on youtoob, even in 25mph. Got the CoG at 4&1/4" and have done the nice ballast mod that peewhit described above so tried it heavy and light, no difference.  Can't try a dive test as it's near uncontrollable and I fly over the sea, (hence why I've not tried moving the COG fwd/back in case it goes south).
Any ideas folks?
Thanks , Ross.

Ross,
The Fusion is very sensitive to elevator trim and one click of up or down can make a lot of difference.
If you have checked the C of G at 4&1\4", all I can think of is that you may have had too much down trim on it.
I fly with as much down trim as the lift will allow and there is a definite limit as to how much you can get away with.