Move over Wildthing the Fusion has landed

I have come to my senses for now.

Anyway what I should have been doing is sorting out the one million outside jobs after coming back from IC flying (nothing crashed - result!) . I did an average job on the fuz while Carol managed to create this!

Once I've joined the wing and fuz, that black in the middle will extend in a triangle to the nose. Bottom of the wing isn't covered yet. It'll be blue. With some pink stars

Think I'll leave tail fin and elevons white. Less is more and all that.

I think it looks ace. Be easy identify!

That's why I took a photo! It's done now, needs a bit of nose weight but I'll probably put a bigger pack in there. Forgot to thread the Ariel before I fixed the fuz to the wing but otherwise ready to go. Just need some time and a bit of appropriate wind.

850g. That's less than the WT is currently

Stars

(Yuk, import photo filter does bad things to this pic!)

And Stripes

Need to tidy up a few bits. It's still lighter than the WT even AFTER I'd had to add 60g of finest church roof up the front. 

I need to finish my workshop now, I've run out of room in the house for models! 

Edited By Alex Leigh on 18/04/2009 22:09:25

hello peter-ALL the kid's in the- car reminded me of someone i know who year's ago used to take the family to flamingo land and about 1 mile before he got there-put the kid's in the boot-so he would only have to pay for himself and her indoor's...............

ken anderson..............

Been out. Super scratchy. WT wouldn't really fly. Well not for very long. Chucked fusion, wind had picked up a bit but still hard work on my little slope. After trimming it (think it's right on the back of the cofg as v. sensitive in pitch, not so in roll), it went great.

Faster, cleaner (well my WT is somewhat battered and needs recovering), whistles , feels like it has more energy. Definitely needs a bit more concentration to fly (could be cofg). I'll be going out later after putting in an email shift. 

First impression tho, very nice.

No it's ugly. And in the air, it is only less ugly because it is a bit further away. I've put the trademark tentpeg nosemark in mine now.. And because I can only truly call a new model properly maiden'd when I've flown it into a tree, I did that as well. Twice.

In my defence, there was a tiny bit of the hill working in a NW wind and about 10 feet behind the only lift was a brace of hawthorn trees. Went in one. Tried again. Went in the other one. I'm getting better at climbing trees but feel this may not be the right skill to be learning.

Maybe I'm a "wood diviner"

Anyway these put me off.

How can you concentrate when you have "mad cow eye" giving you the once over?

NW wind, should have gone to Garway. Less trees, better slope, bigger landing area. Sadly I had to work.

Anyway it flies, and it flies nicely. Looking forward to some better conditions to fly it back to back with Stumpy the Wild Thing.

Now I've built that, can I have a Weasel?

Mine needed a few 30 x 30 lead chunks in the nose before it flew 'right',  I think the CG ended up in front of Alans recommended balance point. My dads 60" was the same, flew like crap til i persuaded him to cram some lead in there.  On the subject of Weasels, mine should probably be in the post by now, lets see if it beats the wasp from Australia, that I ordered weeks ago   

Shaun

I maidened mine today too!

Went up to Hopesay at about 7pm - very marginal conditions but I was desparate for some slope action.

At least with Alan's models you have plenty of confidence when it comes to that first chuck. Lobbed it off into, ooh, dunno, 7mph breeze - and off it went. Lots of hasty trimming followed as I tried to stop it heading to the bottom of the valley, and I then spent the next 45 minutes trimming the blessed thing

Where should the CofG be? I ended up sticking 2.1oz up front before heading off, and tried adding a bit more, took a bit out, put it back, put some on the tail, lah de dah...

I couldn't really do a proper dive test as the lift was so marginal, but flying across the slope saw it start to pull out without any input. Move CofG back then. Nope, still can't truely fly hands off. Doh! Best try again in a better blow.

Other than that, it flew well - quite quick, good amount of energy retention, but near fell out of the sky if the stall came on. Could grab it back though with a handful of elevator. Quite twitchy - in a kind of Red Kite kind of way - lots of corrections required - so not dialed in just yet.

So here's my plea - where should the CofG be?!!

mine was initially set up 4.5 inches from root leading edge. Ended up with 10g of lead on the nose to bring it forward a bit. 

Flown it twice now. Once in 30mph on a big hill and in 10-15 on a little coastal one. Apart from 2 or 3 three clicks of up/down handed both well..

Not sure the Wildthing should 'move over' just yet, but here's my interpretation of the Fusion

Best thing I can report so far is the quality of the Hitec Rx I bought for just £17. Gold plated contacts - SOLID contacts too, and a nice bit of foam packing with a velco strap to wrap it in. Bargain! ALong with a pair of £7 metal-geared standard size servos, I'm thinking Hitec is the way to go!

Where the heck did you crash into old Rubinio? On your way  to Tesco and some F1 car pulls out in front of you blinded by a bag of inappropriately stored vegetables?

Next colour scheme then should be a "Brazilian". I'll leave it there before I'm in sticky bun debt to Timbo for breaching forum rules

I ventured out to Haresfield Beacon in Glouc. Met a couple of flyers there. One of whom was failing to fetch a model out of a tree. Not the easiest slope I've landed at, but all that (tree dodging) practice has served me well. I stayed out of the lot!

Agree with Matthew, it's not a big thing. Likes to be flown fast and sideways. I stuck ANOTHER 15g on the front to make it balance and it wooshed along the slope just like a WT doesn't

My WT is BENT (See WT post, I need help)

I loved it. It's a foam monster and doesn't seem that much slower than the blizzard!

Matthew - CofG on mine is 100mm dead from the L/E. For that I have 60g of lead in front of the batt and 15g under the nose. Wouldn't want it any further back than that!

Just measured mine at 105mm - right on the back edges of the servos. Also noticed I have 10g stuck on the front and 10g on the back so I'm guessing I can take both of them off!

Tell me fellow slopers - what's going on here? This model is clearly one that likes to flown quick - I understand that. But left to it's own devices when flying along the slope, it tends to lose height and generally feels like I should be ready to feed some up in. Turn into wind - up she goes - lovely. Is this just the way this model flies? One click of up/down makes a huge difference to this behaviour. One click of up and she goes all stodgy and stall-y, one click of down and it feels like you need to hang on the elevator. Even when at full chat, with the wing working, it would be happy to carry on down to the valley floor. If this is what it does - fine. If I have it all trimmed wrong - tell me!

I did manage to spend a good hour practising racing turns though - and figure that a half-loop with a roll off the top is the way to go

Another top tip - ask your friendly local tyre services guys for some of their stick-on weights they use to trim alloy wheels. I must spend a lot at my tyre shop as they gave me a few strips for free