Move over Wildthing the Fusion has landed

Are you buying her a model aeroplane then Alex ?
On the subect of "honesty is the best policy" I remember many years ago, and one wife earlier than present, many traders at the popular shows used to give out 2 receipts
1 for real, and one for the wife ! Great system, and I commend the idea to the house !

Oh yeah, we did that with bike parts. "Those forks were £150 that's expensive isn't it" "Well you now quality engineering, latest widgets, go faster stripes etc" says he trousering the £450 quid receipt before feeding it to the dog. 

Having seen her fly the Sim Timbo, maybe not yet. She's set her heart on one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9861

A&E on speedial!

Right sorry, back to the point. I'm ordering two at 10am. Any one else want one while I'm onthe phone!

Edited By Alex Leigh on 27/03/2009 08:58:53

Unfortunatelty that would'nt work for me. The wife opens the credit card statement first. Damn, will have to work out something else, cash maybe ? Oh, I forgot, what's that??

On the subject of Daughters, mine use to fly with me and we used to "show off" at various clubs by flying our quicky 500's in formation aerobatics. Good fun. Unfortunately she succumbed to "natural urges" and got married. Now she has no time for flying with 2 Sons to raise.

The one is'nt interested in flying but the younger one is showing some interest. May have to introduce him to control line to get the juices flowing.

Robin

I particularly liked the first user review.......
"great fun , takes a while to get used to ... i broke my arm first time round ! haha oh well gets you balance up very well i find it helps to pratise balancing for north shore riding ! and skateboarding "
I will pass on the multibuy offer Alex  - Alan Head has had enough money from my pension this month!
Get ready for a lie down after your phone call

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 27/03/2009 09:07:40

Yeah I read that as well. Slightly worrying. Still they are pretty well self repairing at that age.

23 Minutes to Alan. What a lovely fella he is. Two 60s ordered. One in Girly Yellow for Matthew, one in more manly colours for me.

Right time to find some cheap servos to stick in it. Any recommendations?

Servo's ordered. Stan didn't have the cheapy fuby so I've gone all hitec which were just as cheap and I have a couple of RX's already. Matthew, on the grounds of domestic harmony, they too are going to your place

One thing Alan said was exactly that Timbo. Interestingly he reckons the Fusion is  little twitchier and a bit faster. Sounds good to me!

Edited By Alex Leigh on 27/03/2009 15:45:45

Glad to see people bit the bullet and ordered.  Ive just got in off the Pillbox slopes, got rained off. My wind whirley-gig was clocking 55 at the lip when i threw the Fusion out so it was a bit hairy, even with 10oz in its belly.  Huge 200ft loops were flown with ease though.  I still chuckle at the way mine nods when flown inverted. 

Oh, my ski goggles have been dug out too, its pretty hard trying to fly your model through tears....

Shaun

I think going to the extreme of using profilm is better for your EPP slope racers, such as the offerings from NCFM.  Its a lot of effort for a combat wing.  Of course it all depends on where you fly and your intended style of flying. If its never going to see combat, go ahead.  Dont forget the 3m77 though......

Shaun  

.....who forgot the 3M77 once

I have some info  somewhere Andy which I did for Lee..... I will see if I can find it and post here. I have to say  though that I stopped using this system some time back after noticing just how "tentative" and fragile the actual point of contact is on these things. For a machine which spends a lot of its life bouncing around limestone and gorse bushes, and the set of it being bashed by other models I decided to move to something more secure. Ahh heres the stuff I sent Lee if its any use ?

I used a stereo jack plug and socket to act as a switch and charging jack in one. Join both connections of the stereo sockets sleeves together, to give redundancy, and hard wire the negative battery lead together with the negative regulator lead onto the tip connection of the socket. Connect a matching plug to your charger output, and simply insert into the fuselage mounted socket for charging.

Another blank plug is needed, which is normally left plugged into the plane, to switch off the circuit, and isolate the battery completely from the radio. Before flight, simply remove the plug to switch on the radio.

I have sketched the system on the reverse of this sheet, and anyone reasonably competent with electronics and a soldering iron should easily complete the work.

The alarm will sound as the battery falls to around 6V, at which point sufficient voltage will still be available to power your radio. When this point is reached, it is the correct time to re-charge the LiPo.

Timbo, Thanks for that. Never thought about using a stereo socket for redundancy. I like it. .

What i am really interested in is where/how you mounted the socket in the fuselage. The only place i can see that might suffice is on the battery bay door underneath, which is not that great really. Be interested to see how you managed it. Are we talking 3/4 inch or 3.5 mm socket here?

Just noticed you say you no longer use this method, what is the prefered method these days?

I fitted mine in  the fus side - just dug out a chunk of foam around 1" square, and drilled a neat hole through the ply side plates and into the "bay" under the access hatch IYSWIM.
I used the large ( 5/8ths ?? ) size jack plug definately NOT the weedy little 3.5mm things.
These dyas I use either heavy duty slide switch and harness' or on my curretn WT I use a  top mounted rocker switch and seperate charge jack. I have now developed a different methoid again and used this on my Jart LT. As I use only LiPo in all my stuff these days, I wanted a simple system of cell voltage checking AND recharging allowing simultaneous balancing too. I cut off the main battery leads from the 2S 1800 pack and use a 3 way plug and socket to connect etc. This answer is in danger of going way off topic so I will post pictures a details in a seperate thread over in "radio gear "  ......if you are interested.

Here is  the old girl patched up and with the switch as mentioned.
NOTE. There is a "wall" of ply strip all around the switch slightly higher than the rocker itself, so you deliberatlely have to "poke your finger in" to be able to switch it off /on - this prevents other nosey models having a peck at it whilst in combat!  Has been like this for a couple of years now with no trouble whatsoever. The switch and socket and "ON" LED indicator were all fitted to a small ply plate which is then let in to the top foam surface of the fuz at the point shown, and fixed in place with hot glue gun.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 28/03/2009 19:56:18