A Question for Peter

Hi there Peter, i hope you manage to see read this post. 
Could you suggest a model you have designed that might fit these criterion? 

Less than 50 inch wingspan, and suitable for someone to take thier A cert with?
If possible tricycle undercarriage.

many thanks in advance,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry Andy Just found this one. I really must check more often.

Right, for a start I never design trike undercarraige models because most of our flying sites are grass airstrips and not as short as one might like. Under those circumstance Trikes are useless.

My CAP 21 or the Feugray would both do the job. I think that the CAP 21 might be lightly better. They are both very stable and yet instantly responsive without being twitchy in any way. i.e. perfect for precision flying.

Having refreshed my mind as to the requirements of the A cert The Big Ship should do it quite nicely in calm weather but is not as precise in control. Actually a good 4 channel trainer is the nearest to you specification.

Some of my other designs would do it easily but are not quite as easy to fly precisely.

Hope that this helps

Hi Andy,

Dont you fancy an Arising Star which for me seems just the ticket for doing your A at Blyth.  Its the very model I used when I took my A as they are pretty viceless and will do the A routine perfectly.  But you can also do loads of aerobatic manouveres with them (Dale can almost get Mikes to pop hang)..... 

Good day at the Sluice today I thought.

Craig 

Craig,

I already have an Arising star. Its simply too big to fit in the boot of my car. I have to fold the seats down. Thats not a great idea for me and some of my parking places.

I had thought of buying one of those jumper 25 trainers  but even that is right on the limit for concealng in the boot. Its a funny thing but its suprising how small the boot seems when you try to get a model and associated  gear in. I blame Honda for making the accord boot with an inverse tardis effect. 

Yes it was a good day. Only one midair with all those models in a small bit of sky. Wish I could have been there yesterday for the who can skim the seabed competition. Sounds like it was a good laugh...

Might dig out the Arising star on Sat. I can only bring it when im making a dedicated Blyth trip so i aint going to get to fly it that much.....

• 4 months later...
Hello Peter,

I just re-read your excellent articals on "Design it Yourself" which really inspired me  to have a go.  I have a question regards the wing profiles, you suggested using NACA 3412.  I have looked thro' several books and explored the internet to get the ordinates for that foil, but no success. The best I can find is NACA 2412.

Can you please advise me where these numbers are obtained. I use Autocad LT and wish to draw the profile myself.

Regards Ron

I have Compufoil. A senstational wing design program. YOu can buy it on line and it isn't really expensive, well under £100 and you only need to buy the parts you want.

There is a part where you just feed in the numbers and it gives you the airfoil. You can make some really funny shapes that would enver fly.

I usually work with ones that are flat bottomed from the spar to the TE because they are easier to build.

Just looked at 2412 and that would do just as well.

You  could get a free airfoil program from   profili2.com  and get numerous airfoils.  You can pay a small fee and get extra features but the basic free download would work for what you want.  Really needs broadband to download the full version but if you only have dial up there is a lite version.  the free version I have includes NACA 2412 and 3412

Edited By kc on 09/09/2009 19:53:27

• 2 weeks later...
I have profili, his website is incredibly misleading, i bought what i thought was the full version but it turned out it was a part version, i payed for a disk, and the disk didn't even work. In the software most of the functions didn't work so i emailed the guy and he said you only get them on this version, i wouldn't particularly recommend it.

• 1 year later...
question for Peter Miller.
Hi Peter I've just had my first outing with the Big Ship, one of this winters projects.
She flew beautifully, straight off the board with virtually no trimming required, I was so chuffed I lost track of time and eventually she went dead stick but landed perfectly with very little input from me. the only problem I had was that she was a little reluctant to lift
off, would a small amount of packing under the leading edge do the trick, or upset the set-up. She is powered by an ASP30 with a 9"x6"prop. Derek Critcher

Hi Derek.

Yes, the Big Ship is a dream of a model and does fly herself.

I first flew mine from concrete. I have since found that she is reluctant to take off if the grass is a little long or if I have to take off up hill.

I fitted an old OS 30 two stroke but that has about the same power as a 30 FS and now I am looking at fitting a 35 two stroke.

I would not change the incidences on the wing or tail. You have several choices. add power as I am doing, hand launch. Once the model is trimmed you can do this solo. Or finally, if she will get off just live with the extended take off run.

Mine will do lovely touch and goes even on the grass. it is just getting it up to flying speed on longer grass or up hill that is a bit pf a problem

Hi Peter thanks for your prompt reply regarding the Big Ship. you may be interested to hear that my club West London MAC is about to install a large area of Astro turf on our flying field ,the reason being to try and defeat the rabbit "hole digging"menace. perhaps this will help the Big Ship get off a little quicker too? My next trip to the flying field should see the maiden of the luciole fingers x'd Derek

Hi Derek.
That Astroturf sounds wonderful. No more mowing! A couple of weeks ago I mowed most of our strip with my own mower. I worked out that I had walked 3 miles. My legs told me about that for days afterwards. I am hoping they get the club mower sorted soon.

I am now fitting an OS FP 35 to the Big Ship. Got one at a bargain price on EBay.

I think you will like the Luciole. IT is different but not hard to fly. That should take off with ease. What engine are you using?

Good luck and have fun

Peter