Control line Midget Mustang update

Two points about the Midget Mustang plan in the May RCM&E.

SLEC have a cutting list for this model and should also be able to provide precut parts. I was late sending them the plan so the latter may take a day or two,

Tel: 01953 885279

The CG can be moved back to the main spar for improved turning ability.

Edited By Peter Miller on 04/04/2009 12:02:45

Advert

• 4 weeks later...

Peter

Really good to see a C/L making a resurgence again and thanks for a good looking model plan.

A few thoughts:

Most folk won't have a c/l engine so a few suggestions of how to lock open the throttle may be a good idea

A 35 powered model would be fine for 60ft lines but 60ft lines may be a bit too long for a 20 engine (19 combat wings with 52' lines)? 

For info - good quality lines - the old Staystate - are also available from PAW (of PAW engines) and from PS aero products

Cheers

Tim

Glad that you like the look of her. 

There are two simple ways to lock the throtle, screw the throtle stop scew in all the way which is what I did, or just wire it open.

I flew mine on a .25, I could have used even longer lines when I put it on the .28.

You could use 50 foot lines for the .20 size engine. Because of the set up it will fly round as a trainer on a .19 but aerobatics might be asking a lot. There is a lot of line tension with the CG location, side thrust and rudder.

I did investgate the PAW lines. The Sig lines from Pegasus were cheaper and very high quality. Similar to Sullivan which are exhorbitant in price.

Probably would be OK on 60s with a 20 but if I say it is and someone comes unstuck because they do that, I get the blame. Do it at your own risk.

I don't know what the fishing trace is like but I would have thought it was thicker than normal .018 Sig lines and thus a lot more drag.

Peter
Just come across this thread  .Memories are flooding back of a scaled down Nobbler fitted with my Frog 249 diesel .Must have been in the mid to late 50's .I flew on the school playing field lunchtimes ,carried it on my back on a push bike .
"You tell young people that -They won't believe you "

Hi Peter,

Great to see a C/L model again-folks who haven't/wont try it really don't know what they are missing.
Myron's comments remind me of my experiences at school-Unsilenced Fox .19/Peacemaker on the school playing fields at lunchtime, not only tolerated but encouraged by the teachers!
The headmaster even bought us a gallon of fuel for us to fly on parents evening! Just imagine that in todays over protective/P.C./ Health & Safety obsessed times we have today?
Not that I am advocating unsilenced C/L models today, altough the noise footprint is smaller, it can appear more annoying to the world due to the constant rise & fall of the sound (doppler effect?) that C/Lmodels exhibit.

Back in the 70s our club used to make all its funds from doing C/L flying displays at local fetes etc. We would do about 8 or 9  a year. All or most models unsilenced then.

IT is easy to do a C/L display in the middle of a village. THat used to subsidise our annual coach trip to Old Warden scale days

A few years ago they had an R/C club (not mine) give a display in my own village. I was terrified at what I saw, models turning over the village street and people's gardens and the crowd. Later I told the organiser just what I thought about it.

Yes, my experiences were from the early '70s as well-the unsilenced engines were all part of the excitement, similar to motor racing & air displays (full size)-I well remember Lightnings as a small boy at RAF Coltishall & I think this formative experience set me on the path I still follow today. i.e. all things flying, engines, motorbikes, etc.  in any combination!!

I was on 41 Sqdn at Wattisham on Javelins. We alsohad the Lightnings there. That was back in 62/63

These days I laugh because the locals are all bellyaching about airliners whispering over at 4000 feet on their way to Stansted. The have forgotten the days and nights of Javelins and LIghtenings turning low over Sudbury all day and most of the night.

We used to fly C/L unsilenced on the local girls high sports fields (in the early 70's) - it was in a suburbia 3 houses from ours.  No problems with noise that I can ever recall  - that said I used diesels then and mixed my own fuel - with Nitrobenzene bought at the local chemical supplier.  Fantastic days!!!!

• 1 month later...
Ah, the Javelin. One of my favourite Brit jets. There was one standing as a gate guardian by the main road outside Perdiswell field where I flew c/l wth the Worcester MAC in the 70s. Probably long gone now. Sigh....

Yes it sure was, but looking a bit soirry. It was broken up a few years later, as indeed was the club site due to WCC desire to build yet ANOTHER golfcourse !
Remember a guy called Bob Arnold by any chance? - he was my tutor !
Sorry ...off topic

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 12/06/2009 19:04:14

Tim, pm'd you re WMAC members. Was this still the club emblem when you joined?

We flew a lot of C/L there, and I still have parts of some of the models. If I ever dabble in that again then the Midget Mustang will be hign on the list