Programming and adjusting a TX - assistance with terminology

Hi Guys,

I've had a bit of a layoff in the last year so I still haven't made much progress on the flying stuff but something which has always eluded me, as a newbie, is the terminology surrounding all of the functions of a Tx.

I don't want to get bogged down in what one Tx will do vs another TX.... it's even more basic than that....

I've been through all of the threads using search strings like 'programming' and 'tx settings' and there is a lot of useful information about how to do various things (cut-offs, travels, mixing, changing modes etc)

Yup, you've guessed it... it's even more basic than that !

What I would like to know is WHY?

OK, so I know that dialling in exponential helps soften the stick responses and makes for a much more manageable flying which is super for beginners (it worked wonders for me....).

What most posts don't tell you about is why you need stuff.... dual rates, mixing etc.... and the wealth of facilities available on even the entry level controllers is confusing to newbies.

When people at the flying field see that you have a problem they often offer advice like 'you need to dial in some xxx' where xxx is one of the many confusing facilities/options available on your transmitter.

If I am to rely on such helpful drip feeds of info I feel that it will be many a long day before I understand it all.

So, the question:- Is there a book/site out there which anyone can recommend which has the sort of info that I think I need? It's going to be a 'Ladybird' version of transmitters containing such info as:- "The ABC function is used to perform XYZ and will assist with control of IJK problems/behaviours"

It may be pie in the sky to think that this exists out there in one place... but if anyone can point me in the right direction I'm sure a lot of newbies would be very grateful. Thanks.  

Chris

In the good old days we used to fly with basic Tx's and the only adjustment was via the trims! not even any servo reverse.

If you are just starting then I'd say don't worry too much about the programing features as it's best to learn them as you need them and will depend on what you fly.

But they do take some of the work load off on more complicated models.

Frank,
I hear what you are saying... but.... I'm afraid that I'm the sort of person who doesn't feel either happy or comfortable not knowing what all of the facilities on my Tx are for. I have this fear that one day I will 'accidentally' make a change and see my model(s) exhibiting some sort of unexpected behaviour (apart from my own joystick incompetence) which will take me ages to track down. If I knew what it all did, and why, I'd feel a lot happier if that condition arose.   Additionally, I'd not look so dumb when my mates/family ask "What's that for?" and all I can reply is "I haven't a clue..."

Phil,
That's certainly one way of doing it, but I was hoping not to bother the forum membership with such an iterative method... it may come to it though....

Edited By Chris Ireland on 07/04/2009 00:54:38

Hi Chris, Long time no see!

I fly with a JR DSX9 and it has a plethora of mixes and functions; most of which I've no understanding. But I'm happy in the knowledge that an inadvertent button-push or knob-tweak will not cause my pride and joy to bury itself in the ground. Most "system functions" of modern radio sets cannot be accessed by a single key-press. Therefore rest assured it is doubtful you could "inadvertently" make any changes whilst your bird is aloft.

Chris
Very interesting subject & one I have been reluctant to ask about advice for myself for.
I have been confused for sometime now and rely on 'er indoors to overcome my incomprehension of  various functions . I htink its a brain problem wiring issue ! I even have a book on computers for dummies & the over 50 s . Cant get my head round that either . I ,like yourself like to "know" whats going on and as I've mentioned before have absolutely no problems with designing/building/trimming out airframes etc for more years than I care to think about .
Yes ,for me it's a sort of mental block and is constantly irritating .'Er indoors said yesterday ( after a charging /discharging battery session etc -getting everything spot on )  "Why not take up another hobby ?  -You spend more time fiddling than flying "    My reply was that I wished for the times back when you built everything from whatever was obtainable -which is one reason I got into modellin g in the first place .  What can we mend in these days of surface mounted components etc .
Sorry   I'm drifting towards my soap box syndrome  
Please keep looking for the magic " all is explained " book & keep us informed .
Good luck -- Myron

The link that David gave is a very good start, and I also suggest that you simply ask for any of the ones you dont understand, and someone here will answer them.
You will not "be bothering us" Chris...thats exactly what this friendly place is for !!

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 07/04/2009 09:53:44

Doug,
Yup, I appreciate that I shouldn't be able to affect any settings when I'm flying but of course whilst 'looking/paging' through all of the settings whose functions elude me, I may inadvertantly make a change whilst tring to 'back out' or get to the next function. You know how it is when you are playing with a new 'toy'.

David,
As always, your recall and knowledge of the site contents far outstrip my poor search string construction and crappy 'thread recognition' capabilities.... That link was just the sort of kickstart I was looking for. My mate, another newbie whom I am hoping will join the community, has just got a DX7 and this will go a long way to assisting with the inevitable questions. It's a bit like the 'blind leading the blind' really but fortunately we are both fairly computer literate and neither of us are backward in asking newbie questions. Many thanks.

Timbo,
As always, thanks for the support, it is greatly appreciated.....

Let the iteration begin.....

Chris
Nice one !  I'm not alone after all ! It's really weird but just received an e mail from my brother i''ve never met along with a video of his house for sale in Florida Ex- Bernard Langer & ex tennis player Byon Borg  built on a golf course in Fort Pierce . I cant give you the web connection to prove it but will do a PS when I've found the web thingy straight away
Myron