Schools

GordonRB

I am back to aeromodelling after many years away. Used to fly free-flight and control line. I now want to learn R/C, and have my own Tutor 40. Working in Hartlepoool for 3 months the local club is extremely helpful and I could learn with them, but my working hours make it very difficult so I have only been able to fly on two occasions. I would like to take a couple of days off and get proper tuition. Problem is the only schools I can find are several hours away. Can anyone please tell me if there is a school near here (maybe somewhere in Yorkshire)?

Advert

Hi gordon, most of the schools i think advertise in RCM&E, but i assume you have checked in there,
As has been sugested many times on this forum have you considered a flight sim, they are great for practicing when you have a few spare minutes, (thats if you can get the kids off it)
phil

Hi Phil. Yes, I have been through all the mags and been unable to find anything in the Hartlepool/Yorkshire area.
I have Real Flight G3.5 on this computer - it was highly recommended by one of the Aberdeen flyers (my home club). It is fine, but still not as good as the real thing!

• 4 months later...

Hi  yes I have

Having got the bug again after many years out of the hobby I booked a day with one of the schools for myself and my girlfriend. Basically what I had practiced on the simulator could be put into reality. Unfortunatley my girlfriend was'nt very well and I ended up doing 4 hours on Helis and 2 hours on fixed wing!

As far as the helis went it made me realise one point. I was flying small electric helis at the time and was thinking of going into nitro. When you get your first nitro it can be quite scary! the power the noise, the size!

The school used Raptor 30's I found it gave me the basics to build on and fly with confidence and get a feel for the real thing. In one way it gives you a chance to use nitro without the exspense. As far as fixed wing went it was nice to do aerobatics with somebody elses plane without the fear of bending it!

It cost me about £140 for the day - ok it sounds alot- but what I learned for my favourite hobby I thought was money well spent At the end of the day you can spend that going to a theme park for the day and not show anything for it!

Ive just got myself a Raptor 50 Titan - beautiful machine - not gone 3D yet! but its coming! So that day out got me hooked!

You dont have to spend as much time as I did but thats just how it turned out. In my opinion it saved me alot of learning time and no broken aircraft!