Prop Hanging

Ed Kershaw

Hi All,
Is prop hanging really possible?  One sees video of people prop hanging models about 5 feet off the ground, holding it stationary right in front of them.  In one video I saw, the rudder of this Pitts was thrashing from side to side like the proverbial door in the wind.  Does this need to be gyro assisted, or something?

Advert

I've seen plenty of prop hanging at shows just like what you see on youtube:

My attempts differ I can't get it to hold, it gets there but always falls out. Im not sure if this is due to the C of G how much towards the rear should I go ?

Edited By Palmerama on 11/04/2009 23:57:16

"Nahhhhhh.... it's too easy with a helicopter. "

And you can't touch the rudder on the ground. Just make sure you're confident with using all 4 flight controls at once. The one least used is the ailerons as they're mostly to stop the model torque rolling (unless you're trying to torque roll it) Helis don't need as much adjustment in the hover - particularly with throttle - as a prop hang does.

Here's my attempt:

should be doing it with my Funtana soon if the engine is powerful enough.

For me, the point is that, a)  it looks fun - and I accept that this is purely a personal and subjective viewpoint, but also b) it requires an advanced level of control over the model that I would like to aquire.

I usually attempt this no lower than about 50 feet and it seems to work, after a fashion, for about 5 or 10 seconds then I either end up just climbing out of it as I apply increased power in an attempt to hold the nose up, or, like Palmerama, falling out, usually on its back.

Any tips on how to get it going, Brian?  You seem to be holding a nice hover in your photo (either that or you're one millisecond away from an unfortunate end to a nice tail-slide )

Hi Ed,
It's a sad fact of life that practicing prop-hanging is, for obvious reasons, best done at a safe height, but in reality it's actually a lot easier to do at very low altitude. 

The bottom line is getting the model balanced and into a so-called "sweet spot" with its nose pointing at the sky, and it requires the full co-ordination of both sticks. 
Most people make the misatke of thinking they have to whack the sticks all over the place, but most models just need a delicate tweak here and there to keep them balanced and "hanging".

When learning, it is easier if you try it with the model going away from you, going downwind.  Having the wind blowing on the top surface of the wing seems to make it more stable. 
Also, if it all goes wrong, at least the thing is going away from you and not coming towards you.

Make sure your throttle response is 100% reliable --- it becomes the most imporatnt function when close to the ground, stationary and with the nose high in the air.

Good luck.  
Have fun.

B.C.

Ed, it also helps if you're flying the right model. What are you trying to fly the prop hang with at the moment? It sounds like you've got your CG too far forward and the hang is more easily accomplished with a rearward CG. Don't compromise normal flight though!

Of course, the best way to have a 100% reliable throttle response is to fly electric!

Practise on the sim too if you have one. Also, try tweaking the CG and throws - its less expensive than in reality.

I'm with you on this Doug.
The first time I saw it performed I was amazed, but for me personally it has now become absolutly boring.

Last year at Wings & Wheels, the annoucement of a gas turbine or a slot for large scale brought the punters vacating the trade stand, once the 3D boys returned it was back to the trade stands.

That’s the beauty of this hobby… there are so many different avenues to explore as and when the whim takes us.  

We are all different and we all have different tastes, but there is usually something for everyone whether it’s pylon racing, Fun-Fly, precision aerobatics, 3D, large (or small) scale, vintage, bi-planes, tri-planes, multi engines, free flight, control line, slope soaring, electric, jets, petrol power, rubber power, unorthodox models, helicopters, etc. etc. The list is endless.

Just because someone has an unshakeable liking for one particular type of model aeroplane or flying style, it doesn’t mean all of the others are “wrong”.  

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 14/04/2009 09:44:02

I fly an Extreme Flight Extra 330 58" mostly at the moment.  It's completely standard spec with the airboss 540 motor and 4000mAh 5s lipos from Maxpoly.  14x7 prop and Hitech digi servos - it's got plenty of grunt. The controls are nice and tight (i.e. no slop).  CG is as recommended.  To get this further back I'd have to move the flight pack behind the main spar - which would be a bit of a problem - or stick a chunk of lead in the tail end.  The other recommended prop is a 15x8 for that, but it seems to go well on the 14x7 and pulls about 60A static, so I've not tried the bigger prop yet.

Alternatively, I could use a smaller Hyperion Sukhoi - about 45" - which is quite old and a bit tatty now - so might be better for experimenting with or a LN models Mamba - both of which will climb vertically out of your hand.  The Mamba has a long moment arm and is very agile.

I have to agree with you to a large extent, Terry.  Personally, I don't think there's much about aeromodelling that makes for a good spectator sport.  I don't tend to go to shows at all.  Having said that, a really skillful bit of C/L combat flying can be quite exciting to watch (although I'm pretty sure my wife would disagree!).

• 3 weeks later...
A good place to start is with a shock flyer. They are more or less disposable and a prang is usually a non event or requires selotape to get going again. For me the trick was to use the throttle . Go vertical, chpop the power and as she stops bang it in again. Essentaily one pulses the power. Odd thing is after a bit of practice the pulsing becomes less evident and one finds the sweet spot automaticly. BUT the correct tool is essential. As I said a disposable model brings skills on like nobody's business. My Shocky changed my flying level almost overnight. Esp rudder skills, so hesitation rolls and more importantly corrections when landing became automatic very fast. I always used to correct landing problems with aileron which is crap really. Good luck and get a shockie to practice with they are such a larf. Go well. F

• 3 years later...